Over filled with oil

Moderator: Moderators

superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Over filled with oil

Post by superman »

hi all got a slight problem i hope someone would clarify for me, the weekend i noticed the old ZX was lookin short on oil so i filled her up cos the oil just about covered the bottom of that circle, anyway i filled her up with more oil to what i thought was just under the top of the glass but then i did i noticed like a white mark on the inside of the glass which i thought looked like condensation slightly............. anyway checked on her last nite an it seems i have filled her up past the glass, not a great amount past but its past.

Is this a bad thing or will it be ok and does the white mark mean anythin bad

Cheers Guys (and Gals) :smt003
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

the white mark is probably just condensation in this weather so wouldn't worry about it.overfilling with oil could pressurise the engine, at the most you might see oil leaking from your engine covers.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
BigNinjaDave
My Bike: ZXR636, ZXR400

Post by BigNinjaDave »

Not a great idea mate but it’s an easy fix!

Unless you have only just changed the oil in the last 1000 miles I would use it as an excuse to change the filter too.

This chapter of the manual explains how to do it:

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/H Model/ZXR400 H Chapter 6.pdf

You will need to invest in an oil filter wrench which you can easily get from your local dealer or here:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc.2/ ... ter+wrench

Just remember to smear oil round the rubber seal of the new filter before you put it on and what ever you do don't over tighten the sump plug!

In fact if you don't have one a torque wrench is a great investment:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Tool-Shop/ ... ches-Tools

One last thing, when re-filling the bike with oil make sure it is upright by ether using a rear paddock stand or a local passer by / missus / mate to hold the bike whilst you pour (don't go over the top marker on the inspection window) take the bike for a ride round the block then leave it to sit for a couple of minutes before re-checking the level.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

If the oil level is still visible in the window I wouldn't worry too much.
A few years ago I worked on a OW31 750 Yamaha and for racing purposes Yamaha actually recommended that you overfill it with extra oil about 350cc extra I think it was.

Anyway if your really worried get you self a syringe stick a bit of plastic pipe on it and use it to draw out the exccess via the oil filler.

I've been changing oil and oil filters for years and I've never ever once needed an oil filter wrench on any kind. A little tap with a hammer and a screw driver works every time..........just do it carefully
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Ah sound, cheers for them links dave im goin to have a bash at changing the oil soon i think.
cheers for that piece of advice to cargo. my mate said that about takin the oil back out then stick it in a pint glass an check if you can see any water on the top if so he said put some stuff in to clean the engine out sounds cool.

anyone know where i can get an oil filter from and drain plug (been told to just change that anyway) do you think cradley Kwak or somet

But big help here onece again thanks very much.... this site rules. :smt003
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Cradley every time

I would doubt if you need a drain plug

And there is only one thing you should put in a pint glass...........

BEER
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

LMAO, well i guess i walked into that 1.

so no need to check the oil then.... ill just drain the thing out then i think.

:smt023
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

suck it out with a straw . ive had to do that. lol. couldnt get the filter off and no tools for the sump plug. i wasnt paying attention and nearly filled it up to the oil fill hole.
Quicker Than Yngwie