adjustment of cam chain any advice ?

Moderator: Moderators

kwack kwack

adjustment of cam chain any advice ?

Post by kwack kwack »

Just going through a full service , does anybody know how often the cam chain tensioner should be checked ? And how to do it ? The bike has done 17k .
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

The cam chain tensioner is self adjusting, so once it starts to sound noisy you need a new one! I do believe the engine has to be dropped and then split to change it, but im not entirely sure, i think Baz knows for sure :)
kwack kwack

Post by kwack kwack »

Thanks for your help , what happens if the cam chain goes though , isnt that like a full engine rebuild ?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

If ya cam chain goes e.g. it snaps while the engine is running then possibly yeah, depends in what way it goes. If its just rattling like a bitch then no, no need for an engine rebuild, just replace the chain :)

Personally i leave summit liek that to people who really know what they are doing, i.e. the dealers!
kwack kwack

Post by kwack kwack »

Do you find overall that the zxr 400 engine is a good reliable engine ?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

definitely, only usual thing is the head gasket around 20,000 miles.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
kwack kwack

Post by kwack kwack »

Is the head gasket something that you just have to wait til it goes then replace it ?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

well if you've got nothing better to do you could change it now but why fix what ain't broke? they usually go around 16 - 20,000 miles.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

You can do it before hand, i woudnt reccomend leaving it till it goes. It happened to my first ZXR and we couldnt find out why it was overheating till it was too late, by then the cams had turned to cheese and worn the hardening off!!
spaceKadet
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by spaceKadet »

What are the symptoms of an immanent problem with the cam chain or head gasket?
I'm on 21k miles and have started feeling (and hearing) a bit more vibration from 8-10k revs since doing an oil change last week, and the engine's been running hot in traffic for the past couple of months too. In fact my coolant resovoir ran low even though there are no obvious leaks in the system.
Ta.
Highlander
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Highlander »

yep sounds like a head gasket. if you resevior is running low, then you are buring water somewhere,. if the bike is running hot then again its al sounding like head gasket. just also check and make sure you dont have any cracks in any hoses...

also take a look around the head and see if you can see any leaks or traces of fluid coming out.... I had this on my one when it went, but then again, it did also drop a valve and totaly feck the first cylinder... oh well...

if it goes I would get your head skimmned, just so its done perfect, no bumps or cracks or nohting, nice and smooth..

cheers
Highlander
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Highlander »

oh forogt to say, if you do get it done, its worth sometimes going to town and getting the whole wack done, new rings, check the valves clerances, new cam chain, etc. etc. not a requirement, but saves time in the long run and could iron out any future issues.... then again its balancing up costs and time against relibaility.......

my engine is totally fecked, im planing or chaning everything... new pistons, barrells, rings, rods, cam, valves, chain, all gaskets, total overhall.......... then i bet you the gearbox will go LOL :(
spaceKadet
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by spaceKadet »

Cheers Highlander - what mileage did your bike get to?
I know a bloke who'll do the gasket for about £100 - not bad at all.