Starting problem

Moderator: Moderators

Dave

Starting problem

Post by Dave »

I can't start my bike.

Would like to test my starter motor by shorting out the solenoid but I can't find it! Can anybody give an accurate description of its location? (Remember a 2.1mega pixel picture says 1000 words!)

All I'm getting at the moment is a rapid clicking from under the seat. Have checked for good battery and I am sure its ok. Sure I've got a good earth too.

Anybody wonna write me a "idiots guide to" testing to see if the plugs are firing? Including so pic if poss?

Don't fancy push starting it as I'm quite new to biking and might lack the control needed.

Anyway thanks in anticipation.

Dave
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

All I'm getting at the moment is a rapid clicking from under the seat.
Have you got fuel in it? Sorry had to ask :wink:
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

The clicking will be the pin moving on the solenoid, so that's normal. A buzzing may be coming from your fuse/junction box - that's normal too.

This sounds like there's not enough power getting through to fire the starter motor, or the motor isn't turning.

First off, switch on the ignition and put a screwdriver joining the 2 nuts at the bottom of the solenoid, and see if that makes the starter motor turn (i'll post a pic after).

Then check all the wiring going from the battery to the solenoid to the starter motor, for breaks, shorts and connections.

The solenoid is on the left side of the bike (as your sat on it) and you should be able to see it just with the seat off, but you'll have to take off the rear side panel to get at it properly.

The positive terminal on your battery leads directly into one side of it....
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

The fuse will have a red cover over it which unclips at the sides and pulls off.....

Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

MJJ400

Post by MJJ400 »

You'll also get the clicking, and no starter, when the battery terminals are corroded badly. Too much resistance means the solenoid will click, but the motor won't be getting enough current to turn.

For the sake of 5 mins, disconnect both battery leads and file/sand/wire brush the connectors so you have nice clean metal-to-metal contact.

Martin.
Dave

Trying a new solenoid

Post by Dave »

Thank you very much for your help.

I have shorted out the solenoid using a jumper-lead directly from the battery to the starter motor. There was a whole bunch of sparks and the starter motor spun. Hurray!
I have ordered a new starter solenoid and I’ll let you know if it does any good.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave (Budding mechanic!?)