bike doesn't like 1'st - 2'nd gear shift

Moderator: Moderators

spudboy6
My Bike: zxr400 L-9

bike doesn't like 1'st - 2'nd gear shift

Post by spudboy6 »

been out on the bike this weekend for the first time and im having a few issues with it as it was'nt bad enough !
anyways when im riding along in first and go for second it either hits neautral or will heavily clunk in to second , ive found to get it in to second from first it needs a good old kick really and even then sometimes it still lands in neautral , and your now in neautral going along and you have too slow down and go back to first and try again because if you try to go to second it will grind :smt009

its had a new clutch fitted ( steels springs and plates) and oil and filter changed at the same time so wondering if anyone has any advise on this issue or is it how the bike is ?

confuddled
spudboy6

Re: bike doesn't like 1'st - 2'nd gear shift

Post by spudboy6 »

Right been reading through the transmission section ( which this should be there sorry i did'nt know it was there ) and i changed my chanin and sprockets the other day and others say its where the gear selector doesnt go back on the splines in the right position although i marked it it still seems high so im going to moce the pedal down and report back
GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Post by GibboN »

My bike doesn't always shift smoothly from first to second but I'm not getting stuck on neutral. If it does mis-shift(?) it'll jolt to a halt, last night in the middle of an intersection o.0

Let us know if moving the pedal helps at all.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah move the lever down and that should make the shift a bit more positive.

A badly adjusted chain can cause it too so double check the tension, i always find a new chain will relax a bit and need readjusting. Also make sure its well lubricated.
spudboy6

Post by spudboy6 »

Adjusting the gear shifter worked a treat (Y)
GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Post by GibboN »

I've since been a lot firmer with mine and that seems to have taken care of it. Might also move mine down a notch to make it easier.

Glad to hear it's sorted!