Warped discs

Moderator: Moderators

nc73
My Bike: zxr400 L

Warped discs

Post by nc73 »

Looks like my front discs are warped. Where can I get a new set? Cheaper the better. Gonna see if I can straighten them out first.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Re: Warped discs

Post by lewisdale »

hi mate depending on how bad they are you could get them skimmed, of if not get some second ones off people on here or ebay
nc73

Post by nc73 »

i'll need to find a machine shop..saw one on ebay. wonder if i have to replace both?
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

its up to you if you replace both, it is best though if there bad, any engineering place should be able to do them, and if youre not replacing the pads then rub them down with a sanding block or sandpaper on a flat bench to get the surface of the pad flat before you refit them
nc73

Post by nc73 »

lewisdale wrote:its up to you if you replace both, it is best though if there bad, any engineering place should be able to do them, and if youre not replacing the pads then rub them down with a sanding block or sandpaper on a flat bench to get the surface of the pad flat before you refit them
I'm going to get new pads too, almost time for MOT anyways.. Do I just look under Engineering in the yellowpages? I'm use to 'machine shop.'
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

yer mate, i would have though most engineering/fabricators would do it,also anywhere that skims heads for cars etc, im not sure how much it will cost though mate but worth a try
nc73

Post by nc73 »

Update: Got a dial indicator and runout seems to be about .1mm so within spec. No warped discs it seems...calipers??
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

whats the actual problem?
nc73

Post by nc73 »

lewisdale wrote:whats the actual problem?
pulsing during high or low speed stop. i'm thinking maybe replace the discs anyway but don't want it to end up being something else and wasting more money.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

if the discs are ok i would check the pads, maybe rub them down with some emery cloth on a flat block and check that no oil/grease has somehow got on them, or maybe have glazed,,at the same time may aswell check the calipers are nice and free
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

sounds like the discs are shagged, i had this on my gixer, changed the discs and it stopped.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
nc73

Post by nc73 »

I sanded down some brake pad material off the discs and it's ALOT better. Not 100% but close enough. If I don't pass MOT I'll just get a new set of discs.