Garbage brakes!

Moderator: Moderators

extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Re: Garbage brakes!

Post by extonyg »

i think i read somewhere on here that some one loosened the banjo bolt on the m/c jst enough to let some fluid out and pumped the lever as its mainly air stuck in the m/c that causes problems not really the lines, as the m/c is one of the highest points and air rises.
might help.worth a try hey
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Wabby »

OK.

So I removed the calipers from the forks, and lifted them ABOVE the master cylinder.

Bled and almost immediately got some RIGHT pressure on. I mean as soon as touched, they were SOLID.

Put them back down to forks, forced pads back (was together), and re-fitted to forks.

Pumped back up to get pads to discs - Back to only biting one inch from bar.

Any ideas?

Their is a possibility air got sucked in just before putting them back down to the forks - As the fluid was quiet close to the hole to M/C level.

ARGH!
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

adjust the lever to it's widest setting lol
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

you need to bleed them with the pistons pushed back in, or air can get trapped behind them

use a bit of plywood between the pads to keep the pistons from coming out.

btw, how worn are your discs ? if they are worn thin the pistons have to move further to engage the brake, you can butt about for ages but you wont get a decent feel at the ever with worn out discs.

kagizume discs are the cheapest currently out there at ~£160 a pair .. good discs too, used them on both bikes i've built this year.