Battery and bike dead?!? :( HELP!

Moderator: Moderators

beatboxben

Battery and bike dead?!? :( HELP!

Post by beatboxben »

My bike didn't start a few days ago, starter motor but didn't turn over.

Now I took it to the garage and he has just text me saying this:

"Bike is overcharging which looks like it has knackered the battery as well. You would need a regulator and battery all done, would be £196"

Is this right? Should it cost that much when I can get a battery at like £30 :S

Need some advice and help please!

and if you know how to do it and cheaper of course I will let you do it and pay obviously!

Thanks

Ben
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Battery and bike dead?!? :( HELP!

Post by RedexRobB »

Remember the mechanic is charging labour and probably a bit of Mark up on the parts too. You could easily do it for much less but you would be needing to do it yourself.

My suggestion would be to do it yourself. Battery is an easy job n rectifier is unplug and plug in new one.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

there are "replacement" reg/rec's on ebay for ~£60, i think they are non-OEM though.

new battery is £20-45, so you will save at least 50% by doing yourself.

as rob said, both are a simple swap.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
beatboxben

Post by beatboxben »

No decent Motorbike garages in Northampton... FFS

Wanted my bike back to do it myself, called, text, vm'd, the works! hasn't got back to me for a week.

I am at work today so got my mum to brick him (not literally) because I can't do it myself....

Says I get it back Wednesday hopefully, I'll make sure he discounts the f*** out of it.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

there are many competent home mechanics on here who would be prepared to help you out...im 30 miles away...so im yours for £5 and maybe a few beers for my fridge...for future reference...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
M0rd3kaI
My Bike: 1996 Kawasaki ZXR-400

Post by M0rd3kaI »

Question...

Reading a bit more about the possible issues etc regarding batteries & electronics, please help with this scenario:

I got the bike on Wednesday, rode it around a bit and it was fine, I could, however, notice slight dimming of the headlights (at night) when I apply the brake, but the dimming was barely visible. Yesterday (Saturday) I was able to 'ride it in' with a 150+km roaddtrip. This evening (Sunday) I came back from work and noticed considerable dimming of the headlights when braking, right in front of the drive-way to my house I pull in clutch and stop... chug-chug-dead, Now I did fill up the tank yesterday and wanted to see how many km's I could get with a tank seeing as there was no fuel guage, so I assumed that it was merely out of juice, switch over to reserve and start her up again... The starter swings, but she doesn't turn over.

Tried for a few times more after waiting a little while thinking the fuel might have to re-direct a little further from the reserve tank, but still nothing. I pushed her into the garage and took the seat off to try and find the battery, sadly my knowledge of mechanics is shameful to mankind, but I am trying to change that.

Now, the question, do you guys think that the battery just finally gave in and died or might this be the Alternator/rec-reg or a mix of both?

Any help will be appreciated, really want to get her back on the road as soon as I can.
I got bored on my ZXR-400 for a while on the straights...

Until I realised the speedo was reading on the better side of the 180 cut-off...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I would suggest checking the battery voltage with the engine running, that will determine if your reg/rec is working working properly. Theres a test in the manual for it, and iirc the reading should be somewhere around 14.5 volts @ 4k rpm. Should that be ok, then your battery could well have had it and not holding the charge.