how long before parking lights kill your battery?

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

how long before parking lights kill your battery?

Post by ross46 »

i was looking up the highway code as ive been having an argument eith someone about parking near junctions

"highway code- rule 243-opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space"

while looking through i came across this;

"highway code- rule 249-All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h)."

so my question is out of curiosity... how long can you leave parking lights on before your bike wont start? anybody had any experience or will i have to reconnect my parking lights and test myself and post my results? thanks, ross
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: how long before parking lights kill your battery?

Post by banner001 »

i bet when the bike gets to ~12.2V it becomes difficult to start and you wont get more than 1-2 goes at it, so it depends on the voltage loss and the condition of your battery.

i doubt i would like to leave it for more than 1 night at most.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: how long before parking lights kill your battery?

Post by ross46 »

well ive got a nice new bosch battery in mine, i might connect all the parking lights, turn them on in the morning and check the voltage every hour or so, see how long it takes to drop to say 12.2V? i like experimenting :excited will have to make sure it goes on the oximiser afterwards though!!