No sparks

Moderator: Moderators

mgzxr400
My Bike: ZXR400H2

No sparks

Post by mgzxr400 »

zxr400.jpg
Hi All

New to the forum, I have a H2, that I can not get to start, heard the bike running when i swapped it for 2 oldman 2 strokes .. it had a failed regulator, replaced that and the stator, cleaned loads of connectors, replaced the ECU and battery but it will not fire . :ffs .. i have 12v + at both coil packs both wires, the pick is giving the correct resistance reading.

In desperation I have opened up the fuse box, diodes are good ... but the relay smells burnt, but i am unsure if this a head light or starter relay, (though headlights work fine )behind the battery is another relay (not indicator or fuel pump) which has no markings on it :smt017

Could some body link me to a H2 wiring diagram or does thoughts with what the issue could be smiler

Thanks in advance Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: No sparks

Post by banner001 »

H2 wiring is the same as the H1, and there is a colour copy of that in this Electrics sub-forum

First off, the relay in the fuse box is for the starter lockouts. It's possible that this has fried, and if it has then the bike won't work on the starter button, but you can fool the cdi (unclip the fuse box connector with the yellow/red wire, ground the grey/black wire, and put a loop of wire across the black and yellow/red wires) - this fools the bike into thinking that the bike is in neutral, sidestand is up and you have the clutch pulled in, and bypasses the lockout relay for the starter, so when you push the starter button you are directly operating the starter relay by the battery.

So try that first and see if the bike now turns over and gives sparks. If it does not then you still have other issues, if it does fire, take a multimeter, pull in the clutch and then test at the fuse box connector you still have disconnected the light green, yellow/grey and grey/white wires and see if all these give a ground signal - if not then that lockout switch is faulty. If they all go to ground then your lockout relay is faulty and needs replacing.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: No sparks

Post by banner001 »

Let us know how you get on, I think you are in the Lowestoft area, if you want us to drive over and take a look at the bike I just need you to cover my diesel costs.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003