Halfway through, hit a wall.

Moderator: Moderators

Cimanu
My Bike: Honda RVF400

Halfway through, hit a wall.

Post by Cimanu »

Okay, fitting new downpipes to my zxr, lower fairings are off, all nuts are off the studs but now it's completly impossible to get the damn pipes out of the head >_< Any tips or tricks for this? The rad stops any proper force, it's off it's mounts and lowered down a bit but if anything it's more in the way now. I really don't want to drain it but fear that's the only way :|

If anyone could help please share your knowledge!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Halfway through, hit a wall.

Post by cargo »

What is it with people who seems to try and do the most simple of jobs in the most akward way they can.............take the damn radiator off two clips and 4 bolts and a couple of wiring connections................................... big deal.

You exhaust headers have been in there for years and they will need help to get them out wriggle them and hit them with something heavy.............. perhaps a little spary of something like wd40.

hope you've got new gaskets ? ? ? ?
Cimanu

Post by Cimanu »

You say it's simple but it never is >_< I have new gaskets yep. So should I just drain the coolant and take the rad off? Do I need to take the oil cooler off too or leave that where it is? The 4 bolts for rad are two on frame at top and two onto the oil cooler? Manual shows two on side but mine doesn't have that..
Cimanu

Post by Cimanu »

Okay, dropped the oil cooler down, and then the rad can just swing out forward, held that with my foot whilst using a wooden pole and a clump hammer to hit the two inside pipes. The lovely clang of success as the downpipes hit the floor was nice. Cup of tea reward, then throw the new system on which I hope will be easier.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

use copper grease which will help slide new pipes in and make them easier to get out next time..............use it on the studs aswell
Cimanu

Post by Cimanu »

Did that ^ :) New set went on easy enough, had to stretch em out but I guess that's so they fit tight, all bolted up looking very lovely and sounding ridiculous :D

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... 70001.jpg/