remove exhaust

Moderator: Moderators

lockey1992
My Bike: ZXR 400

remove exhaust

Post by lockey1992 »

Hi guys, needing a little help. I havnt got a clue how to remove the silencer on my bike. There is a screw that i can see but the head has been snapped off it so im praying i dont need to unscrew it lol. Anyway if someone could give me a quick step by step on how to get it off id be very greatful as its the only thing stopping my bike looking pretty much brand new!
thanks
Andy
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: remove exhaust

Post by CaNsA »

Hi.

what type of can?
Got any pics?

cheers
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
lockey1992

Post by lockey1992 »

It's just a standard can on the L1 model mate

Andy
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Can is attached to the front pipes by three nuts which screw onto three studs on the can it's self
The three nuts are hidden behind a cover held in place by that small screw you have already identified

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/images/Lseries/lheaders.gif

Can I assume that you are able see how the can is supported by the hanger ?

As a new forum member can I suggest you learn to search the full ZXRwebsite and note that there are manuals and microfiches also it is good manners to introduce yourself before asking questions.
lockey1992

Post by lockey1992 »

cheers mate appreciate the help. had a feeling that small screw was to do with it but seen as it needs smashing out i didnt want to get the mallet out till i was sure. i ususally put a hello thread up on new forums but i was covered in oil from doing a service and needed answers fast lol
anyway yeah thanks for the help pal

andy
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

lockey1992 wrote:cheers mate appreciate the help. had a feeling that small screw was to do with it but seen as it needs smashing out i didnt want to get the mallet out till i was sure. i ususally put a hello thread up on new forums but i was covered in oil from doing a service and needed answers fast lol
anyway yeah thanks for the help pal

andy

is the right response
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Oh dear, here we go again with the Kwak fiches not matching reality. My L4 does not and has never had the cover which hides the nuts. I note that the H doesn't have the cover either. I'm beginning to think that there is a third exhaust system which has never been covered by fiche amendments - i.e. looks like a H system but has a L end-can flange.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

Tirpitz wrote:Oh dear, here we go again with the Kwak fiches not matching reality. My L4 does not and has never had the cover which hides the nuts. I note that the H doesn't have the cover either. I'm beginning to think that there is a third exhaust system which has never been covered by fiche amendments - i.e. looks like a H system but has a L end-can flange.
I like to think that somewhere there is a small japanese pentioner pissing himself over all he mistakes he made to a foreigners zxr400!
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

banner001 wrote: I like to think that somewhere there is a small japanese pentioner pissing himself over all the improvements he made to a foreigners zxr400!
Corrected for you :smt002

Mistakes = problems. I have no problems. :smt019

:smt001
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Tirpitz wrote:Oh dear, here we go again with the Kwak fiches not matching reality. My L4 does not and has never had the cover which hides the nuts. I note that the H doesn't have the cover either. I'm beginning to think that there is a third exhaust system which has never been covered by fiche amendments - i.e. looks like a H system but has a L end-can flange.
have u had the L4 from new?

i have a microfiche book L4/L4A & L5 and the cover is present.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

masterofinsanity wrote:have u had the L4 from new?

Yes. And I'm the only person ever to tinker with the exhaust, so it hasn't been removed by a garage. Anyway, it can't be removed as far as I can see once the end-can flange is welded onto the link pipe and the collector box is welded to the link pipe, so it must have come out of the factory as it is.

Out of interest, do your fiche books show any difference in the dust seal of the rear brake caliper? Because the L4 definitely has a different seal to the L3 but this isn't shown on the fiche we have on the site, nor in the service manual exploded diagram. I know this is not a case of my bike being given the 'wrong' caliper as when I rebuilt it I mistakenly ordered all the seals for an L3 from Wemoto and, of course, the dust seal was wrong. I exchanged it for that for an L4 and the right seal came. So Wemoto know there is a difference.

The exhaust flange on my bike is definitely for an L and I haven't got a H exhaust on as it has the L end-can bolt configuration.
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

masterofinsanity wrote:
have u had the L4 from new?

Baz,

Bit confused by this post. Have just had a look in the service manual supplement at the exploded diagram for the L model and it shows no cover, can simply bolts onto flange as did mine http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/L%20M ... er%204.pdf So it would certainly appear that the L should not have a cover.
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

Just noticed these pics on here showing other L4s viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4594

Note, the green ones have covers over the end can bolts, the purple ones do not. That, for some bizarre reason, seems to be the differentiator. Kwak changed the spec with the purple ones :smt002
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock