Restriction

Moderator: Moderators

Megalemons
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 2003

Restriction

Post by Megalemons »

New to this so may be asking questions that have already been answered, if so sorry about that!

Bought my zxr around a week ago, test is in a week and I cant wait, if I fail wont be a happy bunny!!!

I need to restrict the bike to the usual 33 BHP, but have heard a lot of different stories from people.

With the usual restrictions of washers and so on, would this affect the rev range? My cousin had a 6r many years ago when he passed and his would be exactly the same as an unrestricted model up to around 8k rpm then just die. I know even if the restriction isn't going to affect the rev range that its going to affect the acceleration but would still love to be able to open it up properly!!!

Also, since I'm not becoming a fan of paying £250 for the 4 washers needed, would making them at home be viable? I mean reducing fuel would surely affect the fuel/air ratio for the worse? Dont want my baby being in pain!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :) Sorry if I put this in the wrong place or am just repeating previous posts
2003 Kawasaki zxr400
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Restriction

Post by cargo »

Yes you can make your own restriction washers and somewhere on this forum is a guide with drawings and sizes......try useing the search or perhaps someone will repost it for you.

You bike will still rev out to the red line with washers fitted and there should bo no mixture or fueling problems.

However Japanese market ZXR400s do have factory fitted restrictions which are not enough to meet UK regulations for newly quailified riders but do cause a speed restriction for the time being you dont need to be too concerned with this but once you are allowed to remove your washers then maybe you'd want to remove the factory restrictor........IF you bike is a Japanese market one.

Lots of info on these topics on the forum

Nearly forgot................WELCOME TO ZXRWORLD
Megalemons
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 2003

Post by Megalemons »

Beautiful! Found the dimensions for the washers so will probably try and make some up in the near future, or maybe have a gander at ebay or something, might not be able to trust my own craftsmanship!

I'm pretty sure its not a Jap import. Got the MPH clocks on it, as standard, and I'm pretty sure its got the UK CDI people have mentioned in other posts, will have to check it out!!!

Glad to hear the restrictions wont suffocate the revs, 10k miles and an Evo twin pipe exhaust, sounds amazing! Just need to make sure the CDI doesnt jump back into default mode.

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it, and thanks for the welcome :smt003
2003 Kawasaki zxr400
Mad Phil
My Bike: Hayabusa, Ducati 996SPS

Post by Mad Phil »

Hi Jack, got a set of Fi restrictors, you have PM..

Phil
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

Hey melon, your bike will still hit 110mph and runs just as sweet itll give ou
More miles to the gallon aswell it just takes the power band out of the bike
Ride it like you stole it