burning oil

Moderator: Moderators

hollingsbee#54
My Bike: tomos moped

burning oil

Post by hollingsbee#54 »

My bike appears to be burning oil as the level keeps going down and I have been told that it occasionally blows a bit of blue smoke from the exhaust. Does anyone know where the problem could be?
Rob Hollingsbee Superbike 400
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

could be valve seals or piston rings? i'm no engineer but i think for blue smoke thats the common faults.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Is this on your race bike Rob

Normally means the rings are worn

when was it last refreshed and is it losing power mate or still pulling strong
hollingsbee#54

Post by hollingsbee#54 »

yeah its the race bike si, not losing power but just abit concered. The whole engine was rebuilt at the start of the season with new JE pistons. Would like to get it sorted before we get on the ferry next week lol
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Sorry we dont use them as we only run the standard kawasaki pistons 0.5 for reliabilty

The J.E come with down falls most of the 400 riders are using standard but the 1mm pistons are not that clever we bought a set and sold them can get some if you want some

Sorry Rob

Ring the tuner who bored it out might give you the answer mate on why its passsing oil

Good luck Rob see you in France

Email if you need help with the engine Rebore etc or new 1mm pistons
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Im sure i read somewhere that race pistons cause you to burn oil as they dont have as many rings on them, so they tend to let oil pass. Is that true?
hollingsbee#54

Post by hollingsbee#54 »

it would make sence if that was true. Should I be worried about the engine going pop or anything?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Dont think it is anything to wory about, but like slower says, prob best to talk to your tuner.

I think i read it in performance bike magazine when they did a feature on different pistons.
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

there are two main places that can allow oil into the combustion chamber - valve seals and piston rings.

Some bikes use oil, you havent given us an indication of how much the bike is using though. My boyfriends old bike used to burn some oil, and regularly required topping up in between oil changes. OTOH, neither my gixxer or my ZXR burn any oil.

Possibly a silly question - but you haven't over filled it?

You said that the bike occasionally gives a small puff of blue smoke? That really shouldnt be too much to worry about. However, if you are getting huge plumes of blue smoke whilst changing gears, or if there is a constant smell of oil whilst riding behind the bike, then you have a problem that needs to be sorted. Which will probably involve stripping the engine and inspecting the individual components to determine the problem.
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
hollingsbee#54

Post by hollingsbee#54 »

its noting major, I just got pulled over by the marshalls after a race at the weekend and they said they could see a small amount of blue smoke when I was off the gas comming into surtees at brands. I checked the oil level and it was low so i topped it up, but by the end of the weekend it was looking fairly low again.
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Rob i wouldnt worry if she blows she blows

I would think its either not run in yet and is still passing oil which mine did for a few meetings now has stopped i was drinking 200mil over a weekend form friday to sunday has now stopped it has stopped now

Or you have glazed the bores i would go to France then see what happens and just keep a eye on the levels and performance side of things

Good luck see you there mate

Dont panic its a race bike must have a few spare engines :smt003
hollingsbee#54

Post by hollingsbee#54 »

Cheers si, will do mate. See you there!!