zxr400l1 wont rev out anymore :(

Moderator: Moderators

wilbur98
My Bike: ZXR400L1

zxr400l1 wont rev out anymore :(

Post by wilbur98 »

Hi guys im new here and im having major trouble with my 1991 L1!
I got given it by a friend who was going to scrap (fool) last year. Since owning it ive done a fair bit of work to it like all the shims in the vlaves and cam chain tensionser and cam chain etc, cleaned the carbs out until spotless and there was nothing faulty in there blah blah blah
My only problem now is that it has an idling issue (sometimes iddles high or idles low), wont rev past 9500 ish rpm and tops at around 110mph.
The guy i got it from assured me it would redline and do 135mph when he had it even tho it sounded like a bag of nails!
I thought it could be that the carbs need balancing so i got a set of gauges and plugged them in and (i dont know if anyone has gauges similar to mine) all 4 cyclinders are in exactly the same place in the big red area of the guage saying "late vlave timing or leak at intake manifold or heat riser"???
Ive checked and checked again on the timing and according to the manuals mine should be spot on, i checked the intake manifold rubbers for splits and theres nothing wrong with them.
CAN SOME PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE MY HEAD IS REALLY STARTING TO HURT OVER THIS!!! haha
Thanks guys
Danman109
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9 2001

Re: zxr400l1 wont rev out anymore :(

Post by Danman109 »

My friend had a similar issue, turned out to be the ECU that had popped, might be worth finding someone close by with a zxr 400 and swapping the ECU over briefly.. if thats the problem your bike will run fine but his wont rev past 10..
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
ZXR 400 L2 Hopkins GP replica.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: zxr400l1 wont rev out anymore :(

Post by RedexRobB »

If you have got the gauges i think you have forget what they say on the dials, whats important is that the all the needles are at exactly the same place when the engine is running. You rubbers might not be split to be leaking but could be leaking at the faces of the rubbers where it meets the block. Spray a bit of carb cleaner round that area while runing and if anything changes you have a leak.

Also, it might be worth looking at some new plugs, i had an iffy running problem a few years back, would rev out fine but wouldnt run on tickover at all which tunred out to be the plugs.