yet another 'starting problems' thread...

Moderator: Moderators

tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

yet another 'starting problems' thread...

Post by tobomoto »

right, a few weeks ago (2 maybe) i started my bike by jump starting it off my car. i tried today after putting fuel in it and putting a brand new battery on it. after 5 mins the battery was shot so i jump started it from my car. it sounded like it wanted to fire up but didnt. then it just stopped and all i was getting was the relay clicking. could i of knackered the starter motor? (how would i check it? just connect the wires to a battery?) or is the battery done? i cant work it out and as such its nearly put me off my dinner. nearly... please help!!!
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: yet another 'starting problems' thread...

Post by cargo »

A clicking solinoid is a classic flat battery symptom

Draining a battery in 5 minutes of trying to start it is easy to do......even with a new battery (new batteries need charging)

I'd be surprised if you have damaged the starter motor
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Bump start it, go for a 2hour blast, problem solved :D
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

How did you deal with the new battery? Most come dry and you have to add the acid from the pack supplied. It is absolutely essential that you follow carefully the instructions supplied with the battery. These usually say that after adding the acid that you must leave the battery to stand for a certain amount of time before charging. If you don't do this, and charge it straight away, you will ruin the battery. Once this has been done the battery should be given a normal charge for the prescribed number of hours with a charger designed for bike batteries - a car battery only charger will ruin it, again, the rate of charge is too high. If you don't charge it fully before using it you will ruin the battery.

So many people seem to think that the instructions supplied with batteries are like the jokes in christmas crackers and should be ignored. Hope you didn't do this, otherwise you've just ruined a battery.

The charge from the alternator would be unlikely to fully recharge a flat battery from a 2 hour run. It will top a good battery back up but if it is well run down it really needs a charge of several hours from a charger.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

yeah i done everything the instructions said on the battery but the thing thats puzzling me is that it started a couple of weeks ago with a knackered battery jumped from my car but the new one wouldnt start, almost as if fuel wasnt getting through and also that it just stopped turning over all of a sudden- just got a clicking from the relay. :smt017 . ill have a look tommorow as its been raining all day. maybe some food will help me think...
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
Equalz
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L1

Post by Equalz »

Bump start it, go for a 2hour blast, problem solved
This, if it bumps into life then you know that either your battery is flat (99.9% likelihood) or your starter motor is damaged.