Race / track day Exhaust

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Race / track day Exhaust

Post by Davw »

Am trying to sort out a decent exhaust for race spec bike. Any suggestions. Budget restricted to around £200 so second hand is the way to go however Akrp dont do a system - Micron do but before I splash cash - any expereience out there?

Dave
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Race / track day Exhaust

Post by zimm »

yeh,

1) micron dont make them anymore, so it'll have to be secondhand anyway..

2) the micron systems work well enough on a stock/lightly tuned engine, but arent great if you are running a full race tune.

3) scorpion systems dont seem to be very good

best options, Beet or MHP, the Beet systems are available in titanium, which is nice .. but they cost a LOT.

MHP 32mm stainless steel full race system
Aluminium can: £735
Carbon can: £785
Titanium can: £795

MHP 35mm stainless steel full race GP system
Aluminium can: £875
Carbon can: £925
Titanium can: £935

Beet full titanium and stainless
steel exhaust system with
carbon or titanium endcan
Titanium system - £900
Stainless steel system - £650

prices from

http://www.jap4performance.com/kawasakiZXR400.html

who seem to be the only folk importing Beet systems..

budget option is to cut the link pipe* off your stock headers at the collector and replace it with a straight through 50mm tube bent to shape and fit a slipon race can.

this apparently works slightly better than the micron systems on tuned engines but obviously isnt great, and still weighs a ton, and will still rot out.

Ive got a modded (as above) stock system with a titanium/carbon Akropovic can on it, and have to say, it does work well, but ive not tested it against another system on the same bike.

*its baffled, which is why its so fat, microns are the same, and kinda restrict you to only fitting micron cans, although i know someone who had a micron system noise tested without a can fitted, and it was only 103Db !, so maybe you could get away with a motogp style slash cut on it .. lol.
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Davw »

Thats a great help - thanks for taking the time. Sounds like scouring e-bay for titanium or modding the existing system. Cheers - Dave
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Davw »

Making a bit of progress on this and have a titanim system on the bike (minus the can) - any reason why I cant do without the can and go for a straight through exhaust - I have checked the Fomula 400 regs and think at 103db I am OK - any thoughts on this.

Signed - a noisy f*****
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

Davw wrote:I have checked the Fomula 400 regs and think at 103db I am OK - any thoughts on this.

Signed - a noisy f*****
:smt005