over heating

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Rick.O

over heating

Post by Rick.O »

does anyone know why a race bike would over heat? Its ok for 3-4 laps and then it goes into the red or onto the H.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: over heating

Post by RedexRobB »

I take it the coolant was done recently(ish) and its topped up, so possibly head gasket or the thermostat, or maybe even fuel settings if its running lean. :smt001

Check the thermostat first, theres a test in the manual for it, costs you nothing. :smt001 If thats ok then a compression test might be in order.
Rick.O

Post by Rick.O »

Thanks, coolant has been changed (water only, no aditives)and thermostat has been removed so it looks like it may be the head gasket then?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

Rick.O wrote:Thanks, coolant has been changed (water only, no aditives)and thermostat has been removed so it looks like it may be the head gasket then?
fraid so vsad

edit :

is it dumping water ?
do you still have a fan connected ? if so does it come on ?

it "could" just be a dodgy temp gauge circuit if you're really lucky, check all the wiring for shorts, and test the gauge as per the manual.
Rick.O

Post by Rick.O »

its chucking water out like mad. Ive pressure tested the rad and it overflows at 1 bar ish like it should do but when its on the bike it over pressurises when the guage gets to about half way. the fan has been removed.
I have tried 2 different rads and another water pump, last year I had to tape the rad up to keep it warm.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

head gasket for sure then, get it changed and it'll be fine :)