MillaMeter's Mk2 Rebuild

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Re: MillaMeter's Mk2 Rebuild

Post by MillaMeter »

Chris1984 wrote:would this swing arm not do a bit of paint stripper soon sort it out. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-ZXR-400- ... 27ac91d0a5
Hi,

Yeah it may well do but to be quite honest that's a bit pricey for a swing arm concidering I can pick 1 up for about £20. Baz sold me 1 but unfortunatly he can't get it off the frame he's breaking.

I've started working on the engine today and so far have replaced the head gasket, cam chain and all 3 guides. I did run into quite a big problem, the inlet cam has very bad grooves on the 3rd cylinder lobes so now that's going in the biffa. All 8 inlet rockers have been munched at by the camshaft so they have to go in the biffa aswell :smt010

Luckily Baz has sorted me out with a new camshaft and 8 new rockers, Thank you Baz!

All images are in order I done the parts.

After the engine is all back together, I'm gonna be painting the engine satin black so should look pretty tidy :)

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Bugger about the cams and followers! Rich, have you changed the cam chain? You'll see in my recent thread of my spare engine that i have an extra bit of casing. No doubt ill be grinding the best part of that off to get the cam chain on but how did you find yours?
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

RedexRobB wrote:Bugger about the cams and followers! Rich, have you changed the cam chain? You'll see in my recent thread of my spare engine that i have an extra bit of casing. No doubt ill be grinding the best part of that off to get the cam chain on but how did you find yours?
Hi,

Yeah the engine now has a new cam chain. On these zx400 engines, that extra bit of casting aren't there so the cam chains just fall out with a little wiggle. I took the cams out and the guides and then just gave the cam chain a little wiggle at the bottom and off she comes. Little tip while changing the HG, when I took the old HG off I wire wooled the top of the barrels to make sure it's grit and muck free. The pictures above with the head flipped upside down was completely black, with a little Jizer and a rag soon cleaned the valves and casting up quite nicely.

Here's a picture of the worst rocker from cylinder 3.

Not good lol

Regards

Rich
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

you thought yours were bad you should see my rockers....
just finished rebuild on my bike took it for its first run today.
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=10251
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

extonyg wrote:you thought yours were bad you should see my rockers....
just finished rebuild on my bike took it for its first run today.
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=10251
Hi,

Yeah I saw that, I had to laugh when I saw it because it was that bad. I managed to snap the oil feeder just behind the cam gears :smt013 but yet again Baz saved me bacon and sent me a new 1 Nice 1 mate cheers :smt002

The engine is now fully bolted up ready to run but first I gotta do the valve clearences which I'll do at a later date. Next on the list is to paint the engine in HT satin black which I think is gonna look the camels titties! :excited

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

Saturday I spent a good 1 and half hours trying my dam hardest to get the center clutch nut off using everything I could think off. I even used the special tool (clutch holding tool) to clamp the center hub whilst I undo the nut with a torque wrench..... I know very naughty of me but it was the best leverage I have. The wrench clicked at 140 Nm and I was still going on past it. In the end the clutch laughed at me and gave way :(

Luckily my mum's ex husband came round with his air ratchet gun... rat tat tat tat tat whroooom and it was off. New clutch on (KBATL) slipper which is way better then the non-slipper I had on it. Found out that it was chewing through more tires then a slipper..... can't wait to test it. :excited

Gonna be spraying the engine today in metallic black, hopefully will look cool.

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

More progress on the frame and wheels. Haven't got a photo of the front wheel yet as it needs a set of discs. Rear wheel is fully put together and ready to roll. Frame has new race bearings, top and bottom yoke polished to a mirror and bolted up. New dust seals top and bottom, stainless bolts looking like chrome. New caliper hanger bearing and dust seals (check price tags thread for prices) Still haven't got a swingarm :smt010

Thinking nearer to the end of the build, I'll get a set of these racing levers with 2 finger action :smt003

Please let me know what you think.

Regards

Rich
Last edited by MillaMeter on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

Post by cdstirland81 »

truly good work there, hope my H1 looks that clean, where you getting those levers from?
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
wes
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by wes »

Looking good!

Did you file off the machine marks from the top yoke by hand before polishing?
Want to do my frame and yokes...talking of which why did you paint the frame when it was half polished to start with?
Zxr-Ali
My Bike: Aprilia rs 125

Post by Zxr-Ali »

Absolutly LUSH, cant wait to see the finished product! excellent work ! :)
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

cdstirland81 wrote:truly good work there, hope my H1 looks that clean, where you getting those levers from?
Hi,

Levers you can get anywere most of the time Egay! They're round about £70 each lever, pricey I know but it's gotta be well worth the money. Just like upgrading your front brake calipers to GSXR600 1's :excited
wes wrote:Looking good!

Did you file off the machine marks from the top yoke by hand before polishing?
Want to do my frame and yokes...talking of which why did you paint the frame when it was half polished to start with?
Yeah I put the top and bottom yoke in my dads workmate then hacked away at them with a fine file, nothing too corse otherwise you'll be there all day trying to buff the file marks out. I got the frame powdercoated because I got fed polishing it really lol I also wanted the frame to be original. I think it's gonna look really wierd to me because the frame was polished when I got the bike so I have no idea how it's gonna look.

Knowing my luck I'll hate it and repolish it. lol

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

Thought I'd have a go at painting the engine today, it looks tacky at the moment but once I've polished all the bolts and replaced the rover cover gasket it'll look good as new again. I'll be swapping the crappy water hoses for samco sport silicone ones for better water flow.

Regards

Rich
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Like your Satin metallic Black motor mate :smt002

That is coming along a treat :smt007

Need a new stem cap nut though :smt018

Flippin triple tree looks like it's chromed :smt110

Damn! need to tear my bike down again :smt010 :smt002

Look, PM me about your swinger (if she's cheap!) and we'll get something sorted out.

Truely , keep the good work up and stop cutting corners :smt005

ATB,

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice the colour lol what happened was, I bought the paint and sprayed a test piece and I didn't like the look of the colour ( way too glittery ) looked like a christmas tree, so I took the paint back and got alu silver in exchange. It looks a hell of alot better but the paint still comes off when you touch it even though I finished painting it a day ago. I think the engine needs to be fully heated up to cure. Someone else mention about the stem nut, looks like a dog has chewed it up, new 1 will be on order soon. Got to admit though the yokes have come up pretty well, wouldn't mind taking polishing up as a buisness lol.

I'll let you know by tomorrow about the swinger as I'm gonna be looking at 1 this weekend but if this 1 is a no go then I'll get in touch ;)

I'm happy to hear other people like the look of this build aswell as me :excited

Regards

Rich
vanman
My Bike: zxr400l

Post by vanman »

Good work fella
The pic of the wheels and wavey discs looks very cool , What make are they?
A DOG IS FOR LIFE NOT JUST A FRIDAY NIGHT