Exhausts

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

leon#51

Exhausts

Post by leon#51 »

Hi what exhaust gives more power a full micron race system or a full mercury race system?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Exhausts

Post by zimm »

a full beet system :)

never used a mercury system, but micron aint all that hot tbh.
Jesta

Post by Jesta »

Heinz make pretty good cans!
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

57 different varieties i've heard!!! :smt005
These things are sent to try us!!
leon#51

Post by leon#51 »

I have a full micron on my racebike the can is marked not for road use but the link part is baffled. Ive heard that sum people remove the baffling but ive also heard that the pipe work is then too big and back pressure is lost. Do i modify it or buy the full mercury wich gives 8hp and is race proven.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

thing to do with a micron is to cut off the 65mm baffled link pipe and weld on a 50mm non-baffled link pipe, same as you'd modify the stock headers.

depending on your access to a skilled pipe bending stainless welding engineer, this is either a few beers and an afternoon, or a nightmare.

mercury give's 8hp over what ? stock ? micron? beet ? MHP ? and given what state of engine tune ? claims like that are a little meaningless.. im sure someone on here (Jake?) has posted about a race bike making 80hp with a micron.. (and there were some quick ZXR's at pembrey last weekend fitted with micron systems) whilst mine is struggling to make 65 with a ti beet .. (its not finished yet).. its all relative.

the mod for the micron pipes is what i was told to do by RMKD a while back, so i'm inclined to believe it, i used to have a stock system modified like this and (apart from the fact it still rotted) it was very very good.

Edit : i'm not dismissing the mercury system, iirc they are made by the folk that used to make the swona systems, and have a good reputation, i've just never used one.
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

I beleive MHP have also modified a Micron system for a race bike that ended up with near 80bhp, but that was afew years ago!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Very common years ago to cut open the link pipes in microns and have the baffling removed, even on Race systems. On GPz900R it opened another 6HP gain.

80HP rear wheel is the same as the Suzuka F3 race bikes not using Microns that came out of the factory so who ever is building them knows their salt.

I was going to buy a NOS F3 Kwak system but it was missing it's link pipe :smt010 even saved the pic's :smt009

80 horses on a 400 :smt007

PS. Found a Tsukigi system and it looks the same as the f3 one , damn I could of done something with it :smt010 :smt010 :smt017 :smt010
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

MHP is the best system for a race tuned bike IMO. They have been developed and improved over the years as well :smt002
bato

Post by bato »

what is the inside diameter of full micron exhaust link pipe between colector and can ?