Adjusting chain

Moderator: Moderators

olionel
My Bike: 98' ZXR400

Adjusting chain

Post by olionel »

Hello;
I think its about time that I adjusted my chain... its 20mm slack... not good at all.. totally my own fault. Didnt think itd be that bad, thing is I never done it before, as I havent owned the machine long. Do I find the tightest spot on the chain... loosed both axle nuts (both sides)..then the adjuster nuts? and adjust the wheel accordingly? And I guess this is all done on a paddock stand? Have I missed anything? And do I have to replace that pin that came out of the left hand side axel nut?

Cheers
Thanks!
Oli
Head-Down
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Re: Adjusting chain

Post by Head-Down »

i dont have a paddock stand, so i get one of my mates to tilt the bike over onto the side stand to get the back wheel off the floor, find the tightest point of the chain, then undo the main wheel bolt, then the two tension bolts on either side, tighton the chain then do everything back up. i just have a thin strip of metal that i bend around to keep it secure.
Ride hard or die Tryin'
olionel

Post by olionel »

Head-Down wrote:.... then undo the main wheel bolt, ....
is that just the bolt with the pin in on the left hand side? (sorry just confirming as I dont wana do anything wrong)
Thanks!
Oli
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

How about someone adding chain adjustment as a FAQ?

I've never done it on one of these either ..
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

no offence like but if you cant adjust a chain without a how to, you shouldn't be on two wheels.
Andy
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

you couldent eaither before you owned a bike, everyone starts somewere rember

your best off getting a pad stand makes life easyer for all kinds of jobs, also if you tutck you bike up for whinter it helps keep the tyers in better condition if you lift it off the floor.

have a read of this hoppfully it will help you out,

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0010_handson/

and this is the workshop manual for the zxr, it will give you torque settings ect

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/H%20M ... r%2010.pdf
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yes, everyone starts somewhere with maintenance and it would be ignorant to assume people know these things without being told or shown at some point in thier lives how to do something, the FAQ is for people who dont know and I respect anyone for asking no matter how stupid it seems, because thats what its here for!

Im in the process of doing chain adjustment for the ZXR for the workshop section, ill send it to you when its complete which should be this week if you are willing to wait? The manual i think is pretty good to guide you. You can do it without a stand its just alot easier with it.
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

Chain adjustment is the #1 question on every motorcycle forum I know ..

Deffo worth adding an FAQ.

Nice one Rob.
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
olionel

Post by olionel »

Northern ANdy wrote:no offence like but if you cant adjust a chain without a how to, you shouldn't be on two wheels.
damn.. I better sell it asap than... ow bugger... what to do... what to do...
bogoff you tit, Im only making sure as I dont want to do anything wrong and damage my bike (and I dont have any money if I somehow damage the thing) Anyways thanks for the advice mate, much appriciated.
Thanks!
Oli
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

yes I appreciate it isn't possible to know how to do something before you have done it.
But in all fairness it is self explanatory, one look at the setup and you can easily deduce in 5 minutes that theres some little aluminium sliders in the swingarm, through which the spindle goes, also there are some little bolts with lock nuts which seem to look as if when unscrewed from swingarm they will push the little aluminium sliders back and move the wheel away from the engine. BUT the old brainbox also thinks hang on, there must be a way to stop the sliders moving of their own free will, therfore this big nut here on the spindle must clamp it all tight, I'd better undo that first.

Not being mocking there either but that isn't a great amout of information for a human to take in.
Andy
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

Done mine not long back. Don't wanna steal Rob's thunder and he will have pic's an all, but this is how I done mine.

Get the back wheel off the deck and spin the wheel till ya find the tight spot. Take out the split pin ( I know you shouldn't, but I put mine back in :smt018 ) and undo the axle nut.

Undo the lock nut's on the small spindle that are towards the front of the bike on the threads on both sides. Adjust the nuts at the end where the blocks hold the rear axle until the chain is at the right tension. Do the lock nuts up at the front of the thread. Make sure the lines on the blocks line up with the same line positions on either side. This is to make sure the wheel is aligned.

I normaly spin the whell checking that the tension is right. I have done it before and didn't get the tightest spot first time. When I did find the tight spot it hardly moved!!!

Once you are happy tighten the axle nut and replace the split pin.

It's always a good idea to lube the chain before you adjust it, as this will take out any stiffness before hand.

I know it's not nice doing 100mph thinking toad!! did I do the back wheel up properly :smt003
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

good thing is unlike a single side swinger the wheel cant fall off the 400 just move about, so you've got a good chance of stopping!

I always use a torque wrench for this sort of thing (well most things now used to all ways snap bolts). If you havent got one go get one! You also get toad loads of leaverage making doing it up/undoing easyer :smt003
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

You shouldn't use a torque wrench for undoing bolts or nuts.
It can effect the accuracy of the wrench
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

mine's got an R-clip rather than a split pin in the rear wheel nut. much less hassle.

if I wasn't such a lazy butt i'd go and buy some to replace the ones in the other bikes. giraffe things. Oh and I reuse split pins.

NorthernAndy, you have kinda got a point, it is a simple job. However he *had* worked it out for himself (pretty much spot on as it happens) and was just looking for confirmation. That's not being stupid, just careful.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits