Checking / Adjusting Valve Clearances

Moderator: Moderators

Fisher
My Bike: ZXR 400 L4

Checking / Adjusting Valve Clearances

Post by Fisher »

Alright, I know what you are going to say.
Search the ******* forum!

But I have read the other posts, but they just confused me.
I have a fairly good understanding of engines, but only from what I have learnt out of experience.

I don't understand what you mean by shims, and I certainly am not used to dealing with rocker covers, carbs, and the like since my last bike was a single cylinder EFI 125.

Could someone please BRIEFLY explain what goes in to checking / adjusting the valve clearances on my bike?
I need to explain to the mechanic what it involves, so that I can get an accurate quote.
(He hasn't worked on this bike for a while...)

ALSO, how much would it normally cost to have it done?
How long does it take?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Checking / Adjusting Valve Clearances

Post by CaNsA »

Fisher wrote:I need to explain to the mechanic what it involves, so that I can get an accurate quote.
Goto another mechanic.........
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

He knows what he is doing, just not if he needs to remove the carbs and stuff...
Does 3 - 4 hours sound right?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

The clearance you are checking is the gap between the rocker and the camshaft...............this gap is adjusted by changing the shim to one of a different size
Smaller shim gives a bigger clearance
bigger shim reduces the clearance

The clearance is there to allow for expansion due to heat

To check each clearance the engine needs to be in the right postion..........the manual explains this

To replace the shim again the engine needs to be in the same position as it is for meansuring that clearnace...........move the rocker arm to one side and remove/replace the shim and adjust the gap.............easy really.

This can be done with engine in frame. I prefer to remove the engine...............easier access and I nearly always have other tasks to perform at the same time

The actual measuring takes about 10 minutes.........the work and time comes in the striping stuff to get into the engine

I'd say I could do it with a stock road bike in an afternoon provided there were no additional problems

Oh and if you need to explain this to your mechanic...............I'd get your self a new one........cos the one you have is useless
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

CaNsA wrote:
Fisher wrote:I need to explain to the mechanic what it involves, so that I can get an accurate quote.
Goto another mechanic.........

Agreed
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Fisher wrote:He knows what he is doing, just not if he needs to remove the carbs and stuff...
Does 3 - 4 hours sound right?

He is an idiot..................... I wouldn't let him near my bike and I'm talking about my mountain bike
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

He knows how to DO the checking...
Just not what you need to remove to get access!

All bikes are different. I could just let him have at it, but I wouldn't know what to expect to have to pay at the end.
As you said, actually checking the clearances takes about 10 minutes. It's getting access that takes time.

The brief walk through was for MY benefit.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Fisher wrote: The brief walk through was for MY benefit.
As you guessed yourself, search the forum. Mori Man has written a very good guide on here to doing valve clearances and if this is no good for you then there really isn't any point in anyone else repeating it.

Your mechanic should not be touching your bike without the relevant workshop manual. You can point him here if he wants it. That will tell him everything he needs to know. If it doesn't, go elsewhere.

You could save yourself a lot of money if you have a van by taking all the stuff off yourself and delivering the bike to him with rocker cover off. Then you will pay just for the valve clearances being done, minimum labour. Your labour is free.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I did offer to take all the panels etc. off :P
May just consider the van though, that way I can take EVERYTHING off :)

Good shout!