rockers off, shims out?

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: rockers off, shims out?

Post by Rasta-ninja »

why is it such a crime cargo to have an interest in motorbikes and how they work? After all i have just turned 18 today, and only owned a bike for 6 months, so how can you expect me to know everything. I know that i probably post what seem ridiculous questions to you, and sometimes i could probably think it through myself, so i guess must be stupid in that case for asking more experienced people such as yourself to ensure i don't forget something or do it wrong and in turn completely screw up my bike
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

What Cargo is frustrated about is that you appear to be trying to solve a 'problem' in the most difficult way possible. Yes, you are quite right that there is a very great danger when fiddling with shims that one could get dropped down the camchain tunnel, or into the oil holes but it takes only a couple of minutes to solve that by stuffing some rags in all the gaps. There is no risk of buggering anything up with this. By contrast, removing the cams takes quite a bit of time and risks wrecking the head.

What you are doing is akin to removing the sump to drain the oil so you don't strip the sump drain bolt thread - yes, you can do it that way but why would you?
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Tirpitz wrote:What Cargo is frustrated about is that you appear to be trying to solve a 'problem' in the most difficult way possible. Yes, you are quite right that there is a very great danger when fiddling with shims that one could get dropped down the camchain tunnel, or into the oil holes but it takes only a couple of minutes to solve that by stuffing some rags in all the gaps. There is no risk of buggering anything up with this. By contrast, removing the cams takes quite a bit of time and risks wrecking the head.

What you are doing is akin to removing the sump to drain the oil so you don't strip the sump drain bolt thread - yes, you can do it that way but why would you?

goodpost
Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by Rasta-ninja »

why are you all blowing this out of proportion....?! i do not recall stating i was trying to solve a problem or fix anything. I qoute

"All are good methods, but in all fairness i prefer to just take the cams off. So much less fiddly that way and you don't have to keep turning the engine lol"

thats all i said, fair enough if you guys prefer jst sliding the rockers. I wasn't telling you all that its a horrific crime to not take the cams off, i was just giving my opinion
kronic2011
My Bike: zxr400h2

Post by kronic2011 »

what you need to do!!!

1.get your mobile phone ready.
2.go to google.
3.type in,,,,,kawasaki mechanic near......then enter your location....
4.type number into phone.
5.ask him to do job for you.

mate from the questions your asking you really havent a breeze.and even tho people are trying to give you advice your not taking it and challenging them on their experience in which you obviously dont have!if you dont know how to do it and wont take the advice given by people that have most likely done it over and over DONT DO IT.youll only end upo with your bike off the road for weeks!and dont think anybody likes when this happens!