richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

cam chain mystery, now gearbox new thread

Post by richr »

hi all

now here is a quandry to be solved by you good people here present :smt003

i replaced my cam chain and tensioner some months ago but i havnt ridden the bike as im getting it ready for track days

anyway i did the replacement all as specked and engine was fitted back into the bike i ran the engine and all was honkey dorey, so today as it was nice thought ill just run the bike for a bit as work is still in progress.
so starts bike allows it to warm up and on overun the chains a bit noisey the the strange bit lean the bike to the left and it sounds like the chain is rubbing on something stand it upright it all goes quiet

ive pulled the side cover off and taken the rockerbox off but cant see anything wrong, ive also put it into gear and turned the engine over using the back wheel and all seems good

swmbo says just ride it on righthand turn tracks but i cant see that happening some how

any help mucho appreciated
Last edited by richr on Sun May 20, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: cam chain mystery

Post by richr »

looks like ive got every one stumped on this then :smt010

wheres cargo when you need him :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Sure its not the clutch basket you can hear? Leaning the bike to the left will drain the oil to that side, and the clutch side will effectively have less in it, perhaps making it noisier??

Other than that ive no idea what sould be making it noisy, is the tensioner plunger set low down or is it quite high? That would be my gauge as to much adjustment is left on it.
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by richr »

thanks for the reply rob

i did wonder if it was the clutch, only after i pulled the top off :smt010

its a new chain and tensioner and the tensioner has plenty of travel left on it.

i cant see anything obvious with the limited space to look into where the chain is.

think i may have to put it back together and start her up again.

regards rich
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: cam chain mystery, now gearbox new thread

Post by richr »

mods

this thread can be locked if required as i have started a new thread as it appears to be a gearbox problem :smt010