Engine out?

Moderator: Moderators

U4RIA-ZXR

Engine out?

Post by U4RIA-ZXR »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am a complete beginner and have just bought an L2, I'm looking to strip it down and repaint the engine and down pipes (I know which paint to use now thanks to some people from here already!!) but does any one have any advice or a guide for the easiest way to take them out and then put them back in!?

Sorry this isn't a quick answer, but I would appreciate any help at all!
Thanks a lot!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Engine out?

Post by masterofinsanity »

your best bet is checking the manuals mate, you will need both the H and L model supplement, they will give you a step by step run through of removing the engine and downpipes.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Re: Engine out?

Post by carsounds_dan »

downpipes is pretty easy, just follow your instinct on it, i used a deep socket onto them rather than a spanner, just a personal choice, you'll probably find the studs are rusted to shite, so i've replaced mine with stainless ones.
engine out i would follow the manual, i've enveloped up every little set of nuts and bolts (i.e. Left fairing), so that i can put it all back together just right, just make sure u take notes of what order it all came off... oo and even when you've drained all the oil expect there to still be loads left in the oil cooler. I followed the manual (available in PDF format on this site) and it went smoothly enough. I have resonable mechanical knowledged and took me 3 hours to take everything off, label it up and box it all carefully away. Whilst the engines out i'd get the valve clearances checked and everything else done, its easier without a frame in the way ;)
cheers
dan
chopper
The bike only goes as fast as you want it to...
...i know, it's great :D