Newbie needs help with revs hanging

Moderator: Moderators

Kloon
My Bike: ZXR 400 H2

Newbie needs help with revs hanging

Post by Kloon »

Hello all, I posted a greeting in the newbie section to say hi to all you fine zxr owners. I have purchased a zxr 400 H2 and it has a problem where it does not lose revs quickly after the engine warms up. Its in the repair shop and the have stripped and cleaned the carbs and replaced the manifold which was cracked. Unfortunately its still not running right. They have told me the airbox rubbers are perished and mishapen so i am looking to replace this. I have now realised just how difficult it is to get parts for it.

Will L model airbox and rubbers fit an H2? Will L model carbs fit an H2? and if worse comes to it can I fit an L model engine?

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully recieved and I thank you in advance for your time.

Nathan (Dursley,Glos)
Last edited by Kloon on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowards die many times in their lives but the valiant taste death only once.
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: Newbie needs help urgently

Post by richr »

l model carbs will fit

check out ebay for rubbers and the like as lots of bikes get broken down

sounds like an air leak if the revs are hanging mine does it now and again also check throttle cables are nice and free

good luck

rich
Kloon

Post by Kloon »

Thanks Rich, I am a bit concerned that a shitty seal round the airbox where it connects to the carb manifold could cause such a dramatic problem but then again I am no mechanic. I am also angry at the mechanics that are not giving me much hope, more or less saying im screwed. Just really want her back on the road. Its the black and red colour model too, dont see as many in that scheme.
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by richr »

i would guess its less likely to be that seal and more likely to be one or more of the rubbers that bolt between the head and the carbs

is it that bad that you cant ride around it

can you spanner yourself at all as its not a lot of work to drop the tank and airbox off and have a fiddle yourself

are you paying by the hour as what your spending on labour could buy you some kit and theres plenty of info out there to point you in the right dirrection

h t h rich
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You don't need to be throwing anything away or buying new bits if your only problem is the sealing strip between the airbox and the top of the carbs. Anything which will form an airtight seal will do - buy a tube of silicon sealant suitable for engine work from a car spares shop and run a bead of it in the groove on the carb top. Put your airbox box on - job done. Worse case scenario is that it comes off next time you take the airbox off, in which case just apply some more.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Kloon

Post by Kloon »

Thanks for the advice guys I have decided to put some L9 carbs on it and just be done with the old ones. Im hoping the L9 airbox will fit on my H. Maybe with a bit of bodging? any thoughts on airbox guys? Love this site so many helpful people.

Cheers, Nathan
Kloon

Post by Kloon »

richr wrote:l model carbs will fit

check out ebay for rubbers and the like as lots of bikes get broken down

sounds like an air leak if the revs are hanging mine does it now and again also check throttle cables are nice and free

good luck

rich

All the cables are free and the choke plate etc according to my mechanic. Thanks for the tips Rich.
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by richr »

had a word with my daughter today about thr revs hanging and she said both her bikes did it

she said on hers if she stopped put it in neutral and ease the clutch in and out a couple of times the revs would drop

she said they all do it :smt003

one thing i would have checked is the carb ballance as this makes a big difference when set right

h t h rich

ps might see you around as im in cheltenham :smt003
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

You will need to chop an L box to make it fit then patch the holes you made with sealant and plastic removed.

Fit FCRs and be done with it :smt003

I have my H2 airbox some where :smt017

Sounds like you have gone to a shop that just want the easy solution and quick quid bike service.

In CVKs try replacing the springs inside the diaphragm as they have been doing a lot of work for many years so could be tired - this might help the hanging revs.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly