could it have been carb icing?

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

could it have been carb icing?

Post by banner001 »

tried to start the bike this morning, about 6.30am, it was cold, maybe 2-3C, no ice on the road but it couldnt have been too far off freezing.

turn key, lights are ok so i have battery power, press starter button and the starter motor kicks in...but no ignition. normally its only on for a fraction of a second before the bike starts, but this morning i had no ignition.

we live on a hill so i tried to bump start it, it seemed like i had turned the engine over a few times, but it still refused to start. so i left it at the bottom of the road and took the missus to work in the car, 45 minutes later it started up perfect...like nothing had happened.

i dont have a cover to put on it when i go up north so it had been out in the rain, and it rained for most of the two days it was stood there, i wonder if i could have had something siezed due to the cold, or a carb icing problem?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: could it have been carb icing?

Post by RedexRobB »

Probaby just a bit of moisture, and the time you left it gave it time to clear up??

Ive only ever had carb icing when the bike is running, not when trying to start.