richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

clutch cover casing

Post by richr »

hi all

can someone tell me if there is some magical way of fitting the clutch casing

my lads h model casing was leaking from a crack around one of the bottom bolts at the rear of the casing

he got a replacement off ebay that looked ok so i fitted it today and guess what cracked and leaking from the same bolt and from one at the top as well :smt017

is there some kind of black magic voodo to fitting them or is this just bad luck and no i didnt over tighten (9.5 nm) used sealer and nipped up opposite bolts same as with torque wrench

im relly p*ssed off with it vsad

ive put a wanted add on the forum if any one has one pm me please
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: clutch cover casing

Post by Mori Man »

You got to align the clutch pin with the spindle on the clutch lever you attach the cable too ( do not remove or you need to replace the oil seal )

If you don't align right when you come to tighten the casing it will sheer , I have one on a H1 engine thats exactly the same as what you are describing.

When you offer the casing on aligned , push the clutch lever towards the radiator as if the clutch was being pulled in the casing then should draw itself into place - you can feel it do this. It's safe to say that when you torque the bolts all will be OK.

Good luck on your next one.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by richr »

thanks m m

the frustrating thing is i did align the lever etc and it fitted nicely onto the dowels when i tigtened the bolts they only need about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn to torque up

the cracks are hairline not big holes etc really frustrating and not being my bike makes it worse

my lads just getting another cover off the bay of thieves

not a good day at the office vsad
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Could be it was cracked to begin with matey.

Have to say they can be cows to fit I check , double check - stop , check again then bolt up geek

I've changed the clutch in my bike about 5 times now so getting a dab hand at them :smt005

Edit:

Top Bodge: You could try heating the cover with a plumbers torch and dry/burn off the oil especially around the cracks then key the area and JB Weld it on the inside - make sure you heavily key the area, you don't want that kit dislodging shocking
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by richr »

will be triple checking the next one :smt003

as i said above i hardly had to do up the bolts

its odd its the bolts near the dowels

i will be taking the dowels out and grinding a bit off the ends of them just incase they arnt seating fully in as i cant be having with this again i hate going back on work ive done

hes got another cover coming so thats a positive

thanks again for the input m m

rich