snapped cam chain, help :(

Moderator: Moderators

callum@93
My Bike: zxr 400 L8

snapped cam chain, help :(

Post by callum@93 »

My bike died :( it was making a small rattle as i was riding but i didint sound like much and i thought i was just somthing loose. but when i was riding it just cut out. I pulled to the side of the road and turned it over a few times but still nothing. there is a spark at the plugs and im pritty sure fuel is getting in. So i think i may have blown somthing in the engine. So if any one can give me somthing to look for before i take the engine apart id be greatfull, thanks.
Last edited by callum@93 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
callum@93

cam chain has snapped

Post by callum@93 »

just opend it up and the cam chain has snapped, ohh dear :( :smt009 . So if any one could give me a guide on how to replace the chain and fix the timing which is probably to toad, it would be a huge help
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: snapped cam chain, help :(

Post by richr »

if it was me i would drop the engine out

pull the head off check all the valves then sort out the cam chain/tensoiner and possibly the guides

good luck
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Got to agree with Rich , the chances that you haven't bent valves when the chain snapped are slim.

Although the chain is a simple fix to sort, I think you want to confirm that the top end is alright too.

Get the engine out then take it from there - if the bike has been that poorly maintained it snapped the camchain just think what else could possibly be needing done shocking

It's your neck that's on the line !

MM!

PS. Print out the section on the top end from the workshop manual available here and search threads on valve timing , shim adjustment or canchain and you'll know what to do. Get a valve spring compressor too. Oh, what mileage has your bike done ?
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
callum@93

where can i buy valves

Post by callum@93 »

iv recently had my cam chain snap distroying some inlet and exhaust valves, i realy need them but i cannot find them any where. Does any one know where I would be able to get some valves. Thanx
thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Re: where can i buy valves

Post by thomp1983 »

have you tried cradleys kawasaki? if not you may be better off getting another head from either a bike breakers or someone breaking a bike on ebay or in the classifieds on here

chris
callum@93

Post by callum@93 »

chears for the advice people. iv got the head off and the valves are a bit of a state, iv lost 5 up to naw :smt009
callum@93

Post by callum@93 »

OOO and the bike says it has dont 28,000 miles. also can i just push the new valve into the possition of the old one or do i have to get new guides and stuff ???

Thanx
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

So long as the new valve is a good fit and move properly in the guide and the seats in the head are ok and undamaged then you should be ok

New valve stem seals would be a good idea.

AND your new valves will need to be lapped in
callum@93

Post by callum@93 »

ok kool, would i be able to do this work by my self ?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I dont know.............you need to make that desision for yourself.

It is time consuming but easy enough to do
callum@93

Post by callum@93 »

well its not the work that puts me off its just when i need lots of expensive equiptment. but if its simple i think il have a look at the manual and see how to do it. :)
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Re: where can i buy valves

Post by Mori Man »

Having just bought 20 of them - you'll be cheaper getting them from me especially if your needing a camchain (got one of the too) , headgasket , valve stem seals , guides, tensioner & O rings

I bought heaps of the above and it totald 900GBP so gawd knows what it would have been in the UK shocking (There were valve guides in that shopping list too)

MM!
callum@93

Post by callum@93 »

looked at buying genuine kawasaki valves and they are £35 each, is that expensive or ok, iv never bought them before so i have no idea :s
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Callum you keep starting threads on the exact same topic - cease, halt,stop & decist from doing !

I have merged two together here but tempted to move your streetfighter project one too as you discuss the exact same things in it.

As I have mentioned already buying these parts direct works out way cheaper ! Ex valves are about 25 quid & Inlets 10 quid , there are some fees to pay and express mail is about 8 quid (3 days) , that's why I said if your going to do an extensive top end build your going to save big bucks not just a tenner !

I didn't get a 900 quid order cause they were saving 20 notes :ffs

Start using " Search " so your not repeating yourself and we aren't repeating ourselves.

MM!