rockers off, shims out?

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

rockers off, shims out?

Post by Rasta-ninja »

I've been following Mori Mans amazing thread, but im having trouble actually getting shims out. I've got all the clearances and after reading through it a few times still can't figure how to get rockers to slide... Have you got to put it to TDC and do certain rockers at certain times? and do you need to get the cam caps off? From what i understood you get a flat head under the rocker arm, and because its spring loaded you can lift it up and slide it to the side, is this right? cheers!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: rockers off, shims out?

Post by RedexRobB »

If i remember rightly i think your meant to lift then and slide to one side? I seem to remember poking a small tipped screw driver into a recess in the back of the rocker and sliding it that way. Trying to pull it to one side from the end of the rocker i think makes it catch on the pivot.

There should be no need to take the caps off at all, as he says in his thread. :smt001
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

ok i'm going to go have another look see what i can do. Can you do them all at the same time? or do you have to do half, then turn engine 360 and do the other half? cheers!
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

is the recess your talking about the oil pressure hole? and the only thing i can think im doing wrong is not applying enough pressure, dont wana break anything. Do you need to really budge it or should it just slide?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

yes you do need to have the engine in the correct position.....................like how can you move the rocker if there is full spring pressure on it
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

yeah i got them out!Like Rob said, you can only slide them by putting a small phillips or flathead into the oil pressure hole. But had to put them back in cos i need to wait till tomorrow to borrow a micrometer from college to measure em -.- £25 at the shop and im only gna be using them for the shims! thanks for the help guys
thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Post by thomp1983 »

cheap vernier caliper from aldi will do the job

chris
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

Didn't know they had them there, thanks for that chris :smt023 saying that i got a bendy magnetic pick up tool/torch from lidl not long ago which was cheap but really good
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You can also slide the rockers by putting the screwdriver at the side of the rocker, at the rocket shaft end, then pulling. I prefer that method as the screwdriver is less apt to slip out of the oil hole and you can get a bit more controlled pressure on it.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

All are good methods, but in all fairness i prefer to just take the cams off. So much less fiddly that way and you don't have to keep turning the engine lol
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

so it's easier to remove all the cam cap bolts and lift out the cams than it is to turn the engine over a couiple of times ?

Once you refit you cams afterwards.................you'll need to turn the engine over to re-measure the clearance in exactly the same way you had to turn the engine over to check the clearances in the first place.

I'm very very confused
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

this is true :lol: but its a lot more fiddly with the cams still in place. What im saying is, if you don't mind doing a little extra work to get cams off it is so much easier to do(less fiddly) than when they are still on, and in all fairness id still always check the clearances afterwards to double check they are good.

Another thing, I have some silicon sealant which says its resistant up to 120'C, this should be fine for top end stuff shouldn't it? I don't think it gets that hot top end does it?
cheers!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

It really is pointless taking them off, plus you also risk cracking them if you loosen them unevenly and thats gonna cost you a head. If you dont mind extra work, why not just do the fiddling about, better still remove the engine? :smt017
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

each to their own i guess. I just felt it was a lot easier once the cams were off. Plus there was less likelyhood to drop something down the side of the cam chain which is pretty easy to do when dealing with far inlets and exhausts of #4. As for dropping the engine i don't know how to do that, but im guessing you have to take a lot more off
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Rasta-ninja wrote:each to their own i guess. I just felt it was a lot easier once the cams were off. Plus there was less likelyhood to drop something down the side of the cam chain which is pretty easy to do when dealing with far inlets and exhausts of #4. As for dropping the engine i don't know how to do that, but im guessing you have to take a lot more off

:ffs