Low end rattle

Moderator: Moderators

rossd

Low end rattle

Post by rossd »

Hi guys when im riding in low revs just crusing round town, I get some serious rattling going on when im at about 3 thousand revs. It goes away when your at about 4 thousand though. Another thing is when i put my bike in 5th it makes some kind of slight grinding noise but dosent do it in any other gear :S After reading alot on this forum im thinknig it could maybe be cam chain. Any ideas on the problem and how much it would cost are much appreciated,

Ross.
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Re: Low end rattle

Post by carsounds_dan »

camchain replacement can be expensive. If your mechanically minded the chain itself is only like £25 and the tensioner is about £75. I'd change the tensioner first though see if it clears up. How many miles has it done? I've changed both of mine and its just hit 36000. If you want to do it yourself let me know and I'll give u a walk through of how to do it.. it took me two hours to replace it when I had all the fairings off, all the coolant drained and all the oil out, all infil panels removed and expansion tank off. Its worth purchasing some lock-tite and some silicon sealant as you'll need both and having a small cup of oil handy for lubing up the O-rings on things like the spark plug thingys and the tensioner.
Cheers
Dan
The bike only goes as fast as you want it to...
...i know, it's great :D
rossd

Post by rossd »

Cheers for reply mate, erm i dont quite think id be up to the job to be honest lol. Where bouts you from ?
rossd

Post by rossd »

Ohh and mileage is at 29,000
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds like the drive chain to me. Is it well oiled?
rossd

Post by rossd »

Its only about 3 weeks old but i didnt oil it for about 2 but I havent oiled it in about a week. How often should it be done ?

Cheers, Ross
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I think every couple of hundred miles it should be oiled. Also have you adjusted it since you fitted it? It'll will have loosened up quite a bit and will need adjusting now that you done some mileage on it.
rossd

Post by rossd »

No i havent adjusted it since ive got it, but ive only done bout 150 miles.

Cheers, Ross
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Check it mate, you can at least rule it out then. The chain slack iirc should be about 10-12mm.