Brake weirdness...

Moderator: Moderators

TyeNoodle
My Bike: 1986 NSR250

Brake weirdness...

Post by TyeNoodle »

Having a bit of stress with the racebikes brakes..

It''s an L model bike, but seems to have the earlier calipers with the bigger pistons fitted. The disks are smaller too, which seems to tie in with the earlier calipers. Only found out when we ordered pads for an 'L' and they turned out to be too small, FA180's. Would someone have done this for some sort of an 'upgrade?'

Also, the brakes have been binding. I stripped the calipers and cleaned them, greased them etc this evening. Bolted all back together and they are still binding :smt013 but slacken the bolts a little and they free off. Seems the caliper is 'twisting' on the mounts causing them to bind. Only a fraction but still enough to cause hassles! It's a nightmare as we are in Aintree this weekend so need them sorted. It's odd that it's both sides, if it were the one I'd suspect mounting damage but for both to be damaged?

Could it be because of the earlier calipers having a different angled mounting on the forks?

Thinking I need to make some sort of soft alloy shim for the weekend or something, hassles!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
Paul
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Brake weirdness...

Post by Mori Man »

The brake difference I am aware of is:

H Model has 300mm discs and L model has 310mm discs.

Don't have the calipers handy but think H are 32/30mm pistons & L is 30/28mm both seem to be nitrate coated.

Is it possible someone has shoved a H front wheel on or at least discs and calipers ?

If it's the wheel it would explain binding to as the spacing is a baw hair different between the two. I had an L race spacer (Kit part for removing speedo drive) in my H forks with H wheel and it was marginaly short so pinched up my axle n forks to make up the difference. Speedo drive fitted and everything sat in place perfect.

Shimming it up will certainly be your quick fix option but longer term I would look into getting a confirmed L wheel , discs & calipers.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

How were the seals in the calipers?

Speaking of pinching up the axle, it isnt too tight is it?
TyeNoodle
My Bike: 1986 NSR250

Post by TyeNoodle »

The seals were mint, whole calipers great really! It's just odd how the caliper twists when you nip the bolt up. Can see the other bolt move if its left loose! Got another set of forks to try tomorrow, see how it goes!