Testing if the coolant fan works?

Moderator: Moderators

CarneyUK

Testing if the coolant fan works?

Post by CarneyUK »

Is there any way to test if the fan works. I have started the bike and got it too 3/4's temp on the gauge. The fan didn't kick in.

I have checked the connetctors on the fan switch that goes into the radiator and they were dirty. Cleaned them and now have the bike running to get it hot. I have tried to put a wire acroos the two plugs that go into the fan switch connectors to create the circuit, but it didn't work.

Does this mean the fan is knackered or could it still be the switch (ie the wire wouldn't have started the fan anyway)?

Thanks
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Testing if the coolant fan works?

Post by zimm »

if shorting the two wires that connect to the switch on the rad doesnt spark it into life check to make sure you are getting 12v across them, if not, check the fuse and the wiring

the fan itself is just a leccy motor, if you can get to the plug straight off it (really really short connector length and a pain to get to) and feed it 12v it should work, if not, its dead.
CarneyUK

Re: Testing if the coolant fan works?

Post by CarneyUK »

Thanks for the info, will give it a try. Feel like smashing it up at the mo as the fuel key has just snapped in the tank!!!!! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013