Dimming/flickering headlighs and indicators.

Moderator: Moderators

Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Dimming/flickering headlighs and indicators.

Post by Vard66 »

Had several instances of this today, most of them on the M5. It seemed to be when throttling back, the lights flicked off and on again almost instantly, this sometimes accompanied with a slight judder from the bike.
Later on, as I was almost home, I flicked on the indicator to take my turning, and the lights seemed to almost rythmically dim and flicker as the indicator flashed, but not quite in time with the flashes.
Another symptom of a fecked battery, perchance?
Only other thing I could think of was that it was in fact cutting out at 90ish, and then being almost instantaneously bumpstarted again, without losing more than say, 200rpm. That thought occured to me AT 90ish, so I quickly dismissed it as I rode, because it frightened the tits off me.

Oh, one more slight point to mention, though I'm almost positive it could have no bearing on the above, I took receipt of and fitted my E-Tech white LED numberplate bolts earlier today. They fit nicely, work fine and f**k me but are they bright.
IMO, a very neat solution, much tidier than even the micro LED number plate lights you can fasten above the plate.
Vard.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Dimming/flickering headlighs and indicators.

Post by masterofinsanity »

could be a fecked battery mate did you disconnect it when you fitted the leds? maybe a loose earth?

whats these led bolts you got then cos my Led number plate light lasted about 3 weeks.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
speedtrifle

Post by speedtrifle »

It could be a bad earth somewhere in the system
I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up !!
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Vard66 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NUMBER-PLATE-LED- ... 286.c0.m14

I've yet to see how long they last, and the wire coming from them is very thin, I had to bodge it with some more, thicker wire before I could make a connection, so I've not got high hopes of leaving them un-tinkered for very long.
Damned bright, though, and good for the job. Plus, much tidier than the little box thing you attach to the underside of the tail or wherever.
Vard.
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Vard66 »

Update on this - it seems that this was probably caused by simply a couple of cases of lousy connections and wires shorting on the frame.
Since last post in this thread, I've stripped out all my junction boxes and the CDI and unplugged all my newly wired indicator wires, jetted all the socket connections out with WD, the same for the ignition barrel, and I've ensured all the bullet connectors are pushed in completely. I found in doing so, that one of the connections was in fact only half together, and the metal connector bullet was knocking on the frame, which could have been a contribution to it.

After doing this earlier today, I rode from Daventry to Calne, which is just about 75 ish miles. No problems.
*knocks on wood*
Vard.