Lights getting brighter

Moderator: Moderators

Dannyk
My Bike: zxr 400 L3

Lights getting brighter

Post by Dannyk »

morning all, little problem, when ever i pull my brake lever in (brake light switch) or turn indicators on, my lights seem to get brighter, any idea on the cause of this?

Cheers
Dannyk

Re: Lights getting brighter

Post by Dannyk »

Anyone? No one>?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i'm assuming you mean the headlights? cos the brake light is supposed to get brighter when you pull the lever :smt002 usually the lights will dip a touch due to the extra drain on the battery , could be the rectifier, is it excessive? is it causing a problem? any starting problems?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Dannyk

Post by Dannyk »

battery seems to getting killed off after standing a night, although reg rec is kicking 14.5 out to the battery
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

put a multimeter on the battery with it running and see what happens when you put the headlights on flip them on to main beam and see what voltage your getting, it should slowly drop but increase again when you rev the bike, if the voltage drops as you are revving the bike then your rectifier is shagged hence after you've been riding the bike the battery has drained which is why its dead in the morning
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Dannyk

Post by Dannyk »

It does drop off to about 12v on 4k revs, although they are 55/60w bulbs, bigger than standards?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

think it should stay above 12.6v when revved otherwise its not powerful enough to start the bike.Start the bike check the voltage at the battery, go out for a run for half hour with the lights on, then check the voltage of the battery when you get back with it all switched off.then you'll see if its below 12v the rectifiers not putting enough back into the battery.
Dannyk

Post by Dannyk »

Think it was a screwed battery to be honest, charged it up last night on an optimiser, rode to work fine, will see what it like when i ride home tonight