WIRING PROBLEMS,HELP

Moderator: Moderators

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

WIRING PROBLEMS,HELP

Post by lewisdale »

hi took my bike out 2day and it was runnin rough, spluttering below 6k but then after 6k it was fine, then i cut out a few times, then battery was flat when i got home and tried to restart it, so i went to jump start it when i noticed the wires from the regulator/rectifier were very hot, so i undone the insulation tape and two of the wires were melted together!! so i then taped the wires up seperatly and jumped it, fired up and seemed to run a lot better however the wires were still getting very hot, any ideas???ive only just finished lots of work on this bike as i bought it as a non runner so im not sure whos done what lol so ive only just realised this prob when ive took it out today properly, i do remember when redexrob had my bike he said the recifier/regulator didnt look like the right ones as theres no plug on it, just wires coming out of it, an also all my wires have been cut and theyve been joined up with them bullet push connector thingys
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: WIRING PROBLEMS,HELP

Post by RedexRobB »

The rectifier itself will get warm to an extent, thats why its got cooling fins on it. The wirng itself shouldnt be melting tho, it may well be that the battery had a good charge after being sat and perhaps gave the rectifier a good work out?
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

yer but the battery was fully charged before i went out on the bike mate, was thinking maybe someones put the wires on wrong or summin mate? coz surely the rectifier should keep the battery charged not let it drain?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Did you put it on the charger then before riding it then?

Im assuming battery lost its charge beacause the wires shorted together and wasnt charging the battery?
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

yer it was fully charged up last night, maybe youre right there but why would they still get hot when ive taped them all up again?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

No idea, like i say the rec unit itself will get hot, im sure the wiring to it shouldnt get hot enough to melt.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

i know thats what im worried about, bloody temp went right up when i had it sat ticking over too, but think its coz fan switch is buggered as it didnt cut in!! was ok when riding, and my valve is split on the front wheel, the wanker that done my tyres should have replaced it!!, what dya reckon then? dodgy rectifier or what?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

You can try the proper one from a ZXR but youd need to either bodge it the same way this one has been done or get a connector block sorted. I think im right in saying alot of bikes across kawasaki's range use the same rectifier. Its your call mate. I say ride it some more and see how it goes. If it happens again then yes it might be worth changing :)
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

without a doubt your rectifier should have a plug on it, sounds like someones done a bodge job in the past and fair play for having a go, if i was you i'd get another rectifier and the correct plug to fit either off an second hand loom or buy a new loom jobbie.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

yer i think this might be the right option as then ill know it right then and wont be para about it, any one got one? and a conector? and will all zxr400 ones fit or just the h2
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

The rectifier should have a big 12 pin connector (i think) going into it with a plastic covering. Sounds like its been bodged.
One life, Live it!
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

yer its definatly not the right one, dont think its 12 pin though, 5 or 6 i think, dont spose if anyone knows if l models are the same just so i know if any come up? cheers
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Can't quite remember the exact size of it, its pretty large though.
One life, Live it!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Just found a piccy i took when i was working on it, i remember taping that up now to tidy it up so may be my bad that the wires melted together :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

cheers mate pmsl, im sure its not ur fault mate coz like i said there still doin it now ive seperated them, youve got more pics of my bike thann me lol