having some serious issues with my bike

Moderator: Moderators

Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Re: having some serious issues with my bike

Post by Northern ANdy »

I think its time you got hold of a compression tester and had a dexies.
Andy
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

how long had the bike been standing. have you tried emptying the tank and replacing the fuel? could have water in! have you checked for sparks? if it was running ok then got worse it seems to be fuel/carb problem to me. and just cos something is new/working 2nd hand etc doesnt always mean its ok. have you tried putting the old coils,plugs leads back and see if it does the same. i spose the chances of all of em bein screwed are slim.
Quicker Than Yngwie

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

check the o-rings round the float valve holder, they can perish so bad that fuel carries on flooding into the carbs even though the float heights are correct and the float valve operating correctly.
Haggis
My Bike: ZRX1200s

Post by Haggis »

BANJO wrote:well i'm now stuck. i've cleaned the plugs and carbs put some brand new second hand coils on the bike what else can i try now. I was told the bike had a new cam chain and tensioner fitted when i got it, could the timing be out ? But it was running fine when i picked it up but it has been getting progressively worse and every thing that i try is no good and it's doing my head right in. And to add insult to injury i've lost my job so i'm f**king broke

Regards
Dean(banjo) :smt035
Who fitted the new chain and re-fitted the tensioner?

If you're happy the carbs are set up even reasonably, they should not be spitting fuel out the rears. I'd whip the chain tensioner out and make sure it's releasing properly. It sounds as if the valves are opening / closing at the wrong times, or could even be set up with the wrong sized gaps.

Here's a tip to save you some cash too: If you need a new gasket (which you may not - IF you're very careful/lucky) make sure you spread loads of blue Hylomar (silicon gasket) on at least one side of the gasket before you fit it back together. If you do you will find it comes off next time without ripping itself to bits.
There's no substitute for cubes!
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

wops didnt read the second page, ignore
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
BANJO
My Bike: ZX4R NINJA

Post by BANJO »

Think i will save up and get some new iridium plugs 1st then i will try thing's that have been said
as I’ve just remembered that I’ve not checked my plugs because i didn't have a plug wrench and i used a friends 750 plug and just tried the leads and when i got a plug wrench i just tock the plugs out and cleaned them and put them back in the bike. Think I’m going to check them now. After all this i bet it is a plug. SORRY FOR BEING A PINE IN THE BACKSIDE
But i really do appreciate all of your help and advice

dean
BANJO

Post by BANJO »

Hello all :smt006
Back again and not very happy :smt010 :smt012 :smt010 just put some new splitfire(sf430b) plugs in the bike and it's the same still sounds like a Subaru and if you leave it ticking over fuel is still coming out of the over flow pipe on the left hand side of the carbs. I've had a look at the floats and set them all back to 11mm. Numbers 1/4 where 12/13mm and numbers 2/3 where 14/15mm. I think it's time to pay £47 an hour for some one to have a look at it. Cos I’ve not got a clue what I’m doing BUT i do like to have a go. I will try and get hold of a compression tester and try that.
Any more help and advice is all ways welcome
regards dean
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

sounds like a carb blockage to me.
Quicker Than Yngwie

BANJO

Post by BANJO »

hello :smt006
I've got the carbs off at the moment and a friend has taken them all apart (not touched the mixture srews)and he said the carbs look fine.
I had a look at the head and cylinder 1 is full of dark brown almost black petrol here is a pic :smt017
And just to add insult to injury i droped something in cylinder 4 and as i was trying to get it out with a magnet the magnet decided to stick it's self to the valve stem so i now have magnet's stuck to my valve stem and i've been trying to get them out for about 3 hours with no luck :smt010 :smt013 :smt013 :smt010 my friend was not to happy :smt014 you silly boy :smt018 any ideas as i need all the help that i can get before i pay a machanic to have a look
All help and advice is very much appreciated
regards dean
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

just cos the carbs look ok doesnt mean they are. have u stripped them down all the way to the filters in the body. remove the choke mech to make sure they are all clean etc. as for whats been dropped. unless u remove the head id keep trying.
Quicker Than Yngwie

BANJO

Post by BANJO »

yeah cleaned them and given a good blow throw also cleaned the diaphran / needles and the floats

regards dean
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

if fuel is still pissing out there has to be a blockage in the carbs. maybe the rubbers on the needles are worn??????
Quicker Than Yngwie

rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

them splitfire arnt going to be helping things..never used them myself but read nothing but bad things about them!
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
BANJO

Post by BANJO »

I'm going to get a second hand cdi/ic igniter and see if that helps. if not the enigne is coming out and i will strip it down

regards
dean
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

im not sure that will solve the prob. its unusual its that drastic
Quicker Than Yngwie