revving problems

Moderator: Moderators

rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

revving problems

Post by rover220 »

dont know if this is a problem or not but at idle and in neutral, if i open the throttle fully, it gets to about 12000 then its like it misfires and the revs drop even if i keep throttle open. the neutral light also blinks in time with the "misfire"

is it supposed to do this? i wont know if it does it on the orad till the weekend but would appreciate any advice on this.

btw, i know you shouldnt rev it like that, i was doing it as part of the bleeding process.

cheers

mike
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: revving problems

Post by RedexRobB »

Id wait untill you get on the road mate and see, if you dare open it up that much with this weather! I did the same over the summer with mine, with and without the derestrictor in, and the needle showed about 12000 rpm as it bounced off the limiter.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

so are you saying its normal or not? im guessing not...

its odd how the neutral light blinks in time with teh "misfire" and that the revs drop while still "missing". what could cause this?

will have to get it on the road at the weekend

cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Well im not saying either way, mine did something similar thats all. As i said, just get it out on the road and see how it goes. :)
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

would guess that the action of revving it to such an extent in neutral, does something to the neutral sensor / its wires, and the bike is seeing that the sidestand is down, but the bike is in gear without the clutch being pulled in, so cuts the ignition, revs fall, bike then appears to be in neutral and it lets the revs climb, and so on.

Don't know how you can bare to rev it that high though
Andy
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

Northern ANdy wrote:would guess that the action of revving it to such an extent in neutral, does something to the neutral sensor / its wires, and the bike is seeing that the sidestand is down, but the bike is in gear without the clutch being pulled in, so cuts the ignition, revs fall, bike then appears to be in neutral and it lets the revs climb, and so on.

Don't know how you can bare to rev it that high though
that sounds entirely plausible, only way to see is get it on the road asap.

btw, it loves the revs but admittedly it shouldnt be done on idle, and its not something i do all the time.

ill hopefully take it out tomorrow and will let you know

cheers
Last edited by rover220 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

actually, it wont be that, the stand was up as it was on its paddock stand at the time.