Couple of problems

Moderator: Moderators

carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Couple of problems

Post by carsounds_dan »

Hey there,
i did the only humain thing today and took the bike on a nice little ride into college. During the day I went to the petrol station (half mile away if that) and pulled out of college... got about 300 yards down the road, go to stick it into third, drop the clutch, the engine stops dead, rear locks up... so i pull the clutch.. and let it out again... it locks when the gears and engine are connected to the rear wheel. so come to a stop with the clutch in, go to start it and it cranks for about 3 seconds before running out of puff and dying.. so i push it the rest of the way and put 13.7 litres in, getting very close to filling it. (was on reserve before i left college)... went to start it and its dead... bump start it and ride it round the corner to my works workshop where i could have a look at it if needed...
Basically I come home at 3ish, go to the workshop and theres some water on the front wheel and when shes started a little water was dripping out of the join from headers and muffler (micron system). So take her the 20 miles home and on the way go to pull away, go to rev out 1st and find that she revs up to about 10,000 rpm before then hovering between 10000 and 10500 rpm.. same in second and didnt get that high in third or fourth.
Also I measured the voltage across the battery whilst running, and the battery was showing between 16v and 16.9v which seemed quite high...
So if anyone has any ideas could you let me know... She was also running a bit funny with a stutter at about 4000rpm..
so any help would greatly appriciated.
cheers
dan
The bike only goes as fast as you want it to...
...i know, it's great :D
m9i9k9e

Re: Couple of problems

Post by m9i9k9e »

water comming out the manofold sounds to me like a head gaskit ,but if the bike wasent warmed up then it may be condensation
mike
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by carsounds_dan »

yeh does to me a bit but was only three or four drips.
m9i9k9e

Post by m9i9k9e »

in that case it sounds more like condensation in the engine ,however u may have a very small leek in the gaskit somewere . if possible look at the plugs ,see how there burning i could be somethink simple like a blocked carb or maby even a doggy plug
mike
zxr_oli
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Daytona 675

Post by zxr_oli »

My bike produces a bif or water when started.
Been keeping an eye on the coolent, but that's stayed fine so it must be a bit of condensation.

16-17V is a bit high :smt009, i think guess reg/rec.
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by carsounds_dan »

well took the regulator out today and found that the plug had burned through across two of the bottom connections (alternator connections) so cut them off, re-fitted some insulated terminals, plugged it all in and covered the whole connection in some heatshrink that I had lying about. So put the battery on charge again and hopefully alright.. I hope the reg hasnt gone...
cheers
dan