wont start.

Moderator: Moderators

carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

wont start.

Post by carsounds_dan »

right put the new cams into my old engine to get it running, put it all back in and she wont fire up, cam timing has been checked, double checked and checked again. It cranks asif it's got a shot battery but when i hook it up to a car battery it still cranks the same. I thought maybe the camchain is too tight, so took out the camchain and kept the camchain tight with a screwdriver whilst cranking and even with the lightest effect on the camchain it still cranks like a biatch. It was cranking slowly before but I don't know why it would crank slow now. All that was wrong before I changed the cams was 3 worn rockers and scored cams, so changed the cams and rockers as per the manual, the cams measure up spot on with a plastigue as-well.
Has anyone come across this before even on car engines or other bikes.. it's asif the starter is too small for the engine..
cheers
dan
The bike only goes as fast as you want it to...
...i know, it's great :D
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: wont start.

Post by masterofinsanity »

bad earth??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by carsounds_dan »

don't think so, I take it that the earth lead connecting near the breather pipe is direct off the battery?
cheers
dan
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Could there more damage elsewhere?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

you checked the clearances? if you change a cam they will need doing again.
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by carsounds_dan »

right today i checked clearances and everything else, changed the starter for another one i had just in case and still baffled... so thought just take off the alternator housing and see what the score is there... and it cranked fine.. what a bitch lol. All that time because I'd put the alternator housing on a little too tight... giraffe bike lol. After that she fired up strait away without any problems, it's not got any headers on it atm and its spitting a little flame through the exhaust ports at idle (just about see the blue) but if you blip the throttle you get some blue flames out of every cylinder and about 3 inches long coming out of the ports.. is that good or bad?

cheers
dan
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

pretty normal mate, think about it theres a small explosion occuring just a few inches from the port.