new member from london

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

menor95
My Bike: gilera sp50

new member from london

Post by menor95 »

Hi all. My name is pascal i am from north east london. I am 17 and have on the road for just over a year now and have covered approx 6000 miles on 50cc gilera runner . Passed my bike test last month and i am looking at buying a zxr400 :DD. In the mean time just browsing around the forum and researching the bike and its history, what to look for when buying et etc. Still making my mind up as i am not to sure about it for a first big bike. what do you guys think. would it be to much of a handful for a newbie?

pascal
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: new member from london

Post by RedexRobB »

hello and welcome. ZXR shoud be fine for commuting, however round london that might be a bit of a drag. Byt really depends on what yo want to use it for?
menor95

Post by menor95 »

RedexRobB wrote:hello and welcome. ZXR shoud be fine for commuting, however round london that might be a bit of a drag. Byt really depends on what yo want to use it for?
Well when i say north east london i live on the border of essex.I hardly ever go into london on my scooter so the zxr wouldnt be a commuting to london bike. I go to college in harlow so its not far and trip takes about 40-45 on my gilera 50. If i was to buy the zxr i could use the m11 motorway which would cut my journey time :) TBH i mostly want it for two reasons. one i keep reading how good it is on the twisties and i love twisties and the noise sounds epic. Nice looking bike too.
mikeee
My Bike: ZXR400 L9 (1999)

Post by mikeee »

I ride to School Every day which is a 30min trip, never any traffic and its great :D, have to say though, for long journey's my back does start to ache.....alot! :(
Bridgestone BT-023's
Renegade Exhaust
Carbon Fibre Fork Preload Adjusters
Wezmoto Braided Hoses
Black Short Levers
Black Double Bubble
menor95

Post by menor95 »

i think i will buy one during the winter as for under £1000 and do it up ready for the warmer months that hopefully next year will be less rainy. thanks for the replies guys.

pascal
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

With bikes I went Piaggio NRG 50 -> Gilera Runner 50 -> Honda CBR125 -> ZXR400. And I love my 400 :smt003

On the twisties, yep it is fantastic. The noise? Intoxicating! First thing everyone says about mine is how good it sounds.

Only probem is I loathe being stuck in traffic on it for an extended period of time. The motor gets fookin hot and the clutch puts quite a bit of strain on your hand/wrist/arm if you're not used to it. Long journeys too can be tiresome, but I'll put that down to the fact I'm 6'1. Longest journey I ever do on it is about 110miles and I think that's as far as I'd want to go in one go.

Word of warning - give it a bloody good checking over before buying it! I bought mine for £1000 and despite just having passed its MOT looking closer and taking it apart there were things that were downright dangerous. Alot of money and time spent on it later though it is in much better shape and it just passed its MOT again with one advisory. You will probably learn a hell of a lot like I did if you take it apart!

Happy hunting :smt002
menor95

Post by menor95 »

MrLuke wrote:With bikes I went Piaggio NRG 50 -> Gilera Runner 50 -> Honda CBR125 -> ZXR400. And I love my 400 :smt003

On the twisties, yep it is fantastic. The noise? Intoxicating! First thing everyone says about mine is how good it sounds.

Only probem is I loathe being stuck in traffic on it for an extended period of time. The motor gets fookin hot and the clutch puts quite a bit of strain on your hand/wrist/arm if you're not used to it. Long journeys too can be tiresome, but I'll put that down to the fact I'm 6'1. Longest journey I ever do on it is about 110miles and I think that's as far as I'd want to go in one go.

Word of warning - give it a bloody good checking over before buying it! I bought mine for £1000 and despite just having passed its MOT looking closer and taking it apart there were things that were downright dangerous. Alot of money and time spent on it later though it is in much better shape and it just passed its MOT again with one advisory. You will probably learn a hell of a lot like I did if you take it apart!

Happy hunting :smt002
hi thanks for the reply. i dont plan on commuting on it really as ive got my gilera for that. when you bought yours what kind of things where a problem and dangerous. I work in a motorcycle garage so i can keep it their and over the winter clean it up and replace anything that needs replacing and service etc. you also say that you spent a lot of money on yours. what sort of jobs did you carry out and what needed replacing?
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=13107

More or less everything I've done is in there. I've recently done a bit more like change chain and sprockets and the shock.

Well the dangerous things:
-The guy who I bought it from just MOT'd it and an advisory was the rear brake was dragging so he swapped it out for another one. The eejit didn't tighten the banjo bolt up enough so it loosened while I was riding and poured brake fluid everywhere and eventually made its way to my tyre, you can imagine what would happen if I leaned over enough and hit that!
-The front brakes were fecked basically
-In the back wheel/sprocket set up there's supposed to be a little spacer. This was missing, and when I went to adjust the chain the first time my spindle nut was loose! Only thing holding it in was the cotter pin. This also probably caused my wheel bearings to fail and I caught them just in time. Got the spacer and it's been tight ever since.

So yeah, just watch out and go over everything with a fine tooth comb!
menor95

Post by menor95 »

MrLuke wrote:viewtopic.php?f=87&t=13107

More or less everything I've done is in there. I've recently done a bit more like change chain and sprockets and the shock.

Well the dangerous things:
-The guy who I bought it from just MOT'd it and an advisory was the rear brake was dragging so he swapped it out for another one. The eejit didn't tighten the banjo bolt up enough so it loosened while I was riding and poured brake fluid everywhere and eventually made its way to my tyre, you can imagine what would happen if I leaned over enough and hit that!
-The front brakes were fecked basically
-In the back wheel/sprocket set up there's supposed to be a little spacer. This was missing, and when I went to adjust the chain the first time my spindle nut was loose! Only thing holding it in was the cotter pin. This also probably caused my wheel bearings to fail and I caught them just in time. Got the spacer and it's been tight ever since.

So yeah, just watch out and go over everything with a fine tooth comb!
lovely bike you got their mate. I see that you put quite a bit of energy into it. i will have to look for one like yours for about £1000. hopefully i should find one during the winter thats not to far.