Stainless Steel Valves?

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

maverick32
My Bike: tomos moped

Stainless Steel Valves?

Post by maverick32 »

Anyone know where to get stainless steel valves from? and prices

:smt023
Live life to the full you only get one chance
mike684
My Bike: GSX-R 750 ZXR400SP

Post by mike684 »

You do NOT want to even think about using stainless for any high stress application as it just isnt strong enough. If any joker does try to sell you some tell him to getifa!!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Even titanium isnt that great apparently, very brittle from what ive heard and the only performance you get extra is that they weigh less, nothing else.
rmkd177

Post by rmkd177 »

Mike684 and robB where do you get your information from :smt017 ring REC (race engine components) speak to Paul and let him tell you how many WSB and BSB use stainless 'ONE PIECE'valves then listen to him explain what the 'BENEFITS' are :smt002
R.Middleton
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Is this where i tel them to 'getifa'?

I read that about titanium valves in a performance bikes magazine, they had an article on a big engine tuner who did loads of R30 engines, cant remember his name, but he said he didnt see the benefit of titanium valves because they were brittle, very difficult to manufacture, and the only performance gain was a lighter valve which didnt even give any extra revs or power. Ill dig it up today as im home from uni, ill scan it in for you. :)
maverick32

Post by maverick32 »

Ok sounds like I've started a bit of a debate here....
Would be good to see the article form the "tunner"

Cheers
Live life to the full you only get one chance
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

The 'tuner' being Tony Scott. This is where i got my information on titanium valves from.

Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

mike684 wrote:You do NOT want to even think about using stainless for any high stress application as it just isnt strong enough. If any joker does try to sell you some tell him to getifa!!
:smt044

Maverick, a bit of advice, do not use advice from to people on forums without doing some proper research, speak to the people that know, and that includes the likes of RMKD.

I use Dynotech for my ZXR race engines :smt002
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

My comment was just topical discussion :smt002
mike684
My Bike: GSX-R 750 ZXR400SP

Post by mike684 »

I agree with getting advice from a tuner. My opinion is one of concern though. If race teams are really using stainless then I'd love to know what grade the valves are made of. Any readilly available stainless grades would be much too soft and the valve stems stretch far too much.

Are these valves some sort of mmc? Personnaly I would have thought titanium would have been the way to go for the weight loss in a high performance engine.