Fork set-up

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

greengoblin
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 96 ZX7R, 01 ZX6R

Fork set-up

Post by greengoblin »

I figured racers would be the best people to ask this .

I'm about to change the fork seals on my wifes zxr400 , I was wondering if anyone might have any alternative settings that the bike might benifit from whilst I have the fluid out , you know , different weight oil , smaller/larger air gap that sort of thing.

Problem is I'm 5 stone heavier than her and we both ride it , I would like to be able to just up the preload when I use it..... :?:
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by sloweracing »

Sorry but i use a Ohlins Guy

I set a freinds up for the race track with 15w oil Ohlins and just read the manuaul and poured in i think not sure about 240mill then just reset the rebound and damping normally a fresh oil changes a bike more than you think you could try posting this on

http://www.motoforum.net/

Good luck you will get a better answer from the above website which is just racers
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

The standard forks on the ZXR400l are excellent.

The setup for racing is 7.5wt oil and 95mm air gap (without springs in) using standard springs. the internals have to be in good condition though. Set static sag at between 20-25mm. 25mm is probably better.
This setup has won bemsee and MRO championships.
greengoblin
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 96 ZX7R, 01 ZX6R

Post by greengoblin »

I'll have a go at that set-up , let you know how I get on .
anteater

Post by anteater »

whats the 'cheap' as in very cheap fixes / tricks to improve fork action then?

I tend to think of the front end as OK, alright, not to bad..................... and the stock rear sussie as dire - anyone think different?
JERIATRIC RACER

Post by JERIATRIC RACER »

Anteater i hated my rear susp aswell and not much adjustment, the lad who does my sons motox shocks fitted an adjustable remote giving lots of "easy access" adjustment and was much cheaper than upgrading the whole shock