which to race .. L or H ?

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

which to race .. L or H ?

Post by zimm »

I had always intended to slowly turn my L into a race bike, then start racing in 2008, but ive had to sell it to fund a building project.. i still want to build a race bike for 2008 and it will still be a ZXR as i feel comfortable spannering on them where as i have no experience of the FZR's and they seem to be the only other viable option (dont like nc's) ..

but which chassis makes the better racer ? who out there has raced both in similar spec setups ? i know simon's bike was an H, and jake(?) off here has an H if im right.

ive ridden both on the road nd found the H a bit more flickable and confidence inspiring whilst the L was ultimately more capable if a little clinical, but that could all change if you put them on the same condition tyres/suspension..
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: which to race .. L or H ?

Post by jake »

Aye, mines a H, with the h2 swingarm. I like it, but ive never ridden an L model. Ive heard the H frames stand up to crashes better, and the H rear shock linkage works a wee bit better.
The only thing that would swing the L for me , would be the ramair setup,as you have to modify them to fit the H ( ill let ya know, im about to do it for mine).

I quite like the little half subframe on the L too.

edit, having said that, im not exactly at the sharp end of the grid yet...but thats not down to the chassis of the H, thats me not being good enuf yet...and maybee a wee bit short on hp
Jason
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by Jason »

Well I have never ridden or raced a ZXR so I cant really comment from experience. Only to say that everyone I spoke to prior to buying mine a week or so ago all recommended the H model as being the better chassis to work with. As far as engines go, I am told that in the right hands, most models will produce similar bhp figures with the right cams, valves and gas-flowed head etc. Time will tell :smt002

I have never raced before and next year hopefully will be my first experience. I have rode bikes for years on the road and IMHO I would say that not enough people spend time on the chassis and instead go for engine mods. A stock bike with a good solid sorted chassis will in most cases out run a bike that has say 10bhp gain over stock. So when I chose my bike I looked firstly for a chassis that was light as well as stiff. The H1 in my view offered this.

I have just stipped down my basket case of an H1 model and considering its condition and the fact I rescued it from a breakers yard I am impressed so far.

Watch out for my build thread when I get round to taking some photo's!

Jason
Duane

Post by Duane »

Raced a H1, sold it now have the L sp, far superior in my opinion. H model feels a little more stretched out in the ergo's. L is a bit harsh in the shock linkage. H model tank is a little bit heavier. H model calipers much easier to source better pad compounds. I think L frame geometry is a little steeper. Motors are interchangable with minor internal differences but equal power can be achieved. L looks better :smt003 L is newer so hopefully can start with a lower milage unit. If price is similar, go the L in my opinion.
ZXR400M4, WRF450 07, WR450 05 Motard
cbr chris
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cbr chris »

I race an H model (first year this year!) and am currently building an L as a wet bike. A lot of fellow racers say they prefer the H to race. Mine is in bits now getting ready for next year!
Chris
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

im starting to think an H2 may be best for me.. i know i like the way H's feel, and the H1 swingarm weighs a ton compared to the H2/L style swingarm.. however the forks are harder to come by/longer/have more unsprung weight and they like smaller discs too .. but L forks "should" be ok, as you'd drop the front for racing anyway

could always lever Emma's bike away from her and race that .. nothing beats a bit of "novelty factor" lol

better aerodynamics too :)
billy big skid

Post by billy big skid »

Just a point to think about, to build a competitive race bike will cost a fair bit of time, effort and money. I built my first race bike but have always bought them since because it became a right money pit.

Take the bike i have now for instance.

ZXR400L, two tuned motors and another in bits, six wheels, set of forks, two swing arms, front and back stands, tyre warmers seven back and three front sprockets and loads of other spares too.
The bike itself has full Maxton suspension, flatslide carbs and ram air system, fireblade front brakes, race loom, 72 BHP motor with kent cams and removed generator and starter motor, the internals have been balanced and lightened and the head gas flowed and ported.
I Paid 3K for it two years ago.
anteater

Post by anteater »

I race both, the H is much more forgiving and easier to go fast on from nothing, the L is more of a bitch.

I love the bitch. :smt001

The L (with ram air) is 2 seconds a lap faster for me - but it is totally full on 100% concentration or ......... yer off (the pace or the track........) The H is easier to ride overall.

I've just put y H model up for sale, unsuprisingly enough in the for sale section, really do like the bike but it needs a new home as I have somthing else in mind for 2008
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

billy big skid wrote:Just a point to think about, to build a competitive race bike will cost a fair bit of time, effort and money. I built my first race bike but have always bought them since because it became a right money pit.

Take the bike i have now for instance.

ZXR400L, two tuned motors and another in bits, six wheels, set of forks, two swing arms, front and back stands, tyre warmers seven back and three front sprockets and loads of other spares too.
The bike itself has full Maxton suspension, flatslide carbs and ram air system, fireblade front brakes, race loom, 72 BHP motor with kent cams and removed generator and starter motor, the internals have been balanced and lightened and the head gas flowed and ported.
I Paid 3K for it two years ago.
Hey man, do you still have this bike?
Mike hoses zxr, well one of them. the other is on ebay at the mo.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=006
both nice bike if i remember. Has yrs got the altered special dogbones on? did you buy it off craig?
think he came 8th at the 2003 or 2004 tt on yr bike, John McGuinness won.. he does my racebike stuff, building my engine at the mo, in fact i wish he would get a move on ive got a race next week..