track day/racing tyres?

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

the red shed

track day/racing tyres?

Post by the red shed »

dumbass question i know but which ones are best?
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: track day/racing tyres?

Post by jake »

most of the zxr's use supercorsa pros dude or racetecs. If ya feeling quick, you might want to try some michelin supermoto tyres.

I havent tried them yet meself, but might next season..a couple of the quick chaps use em to good results, but other people say they prefare the feel of the corsa pros.

Also, if yr only doin trackdays...you can probs pick a nice pair of scrubs up for 50 quid odd.... I raced on scrubs last year,and will use whats left of em early nxt season.
billy big skid

Post by billy big skid »

Got to agree with the Supercorsa line of thought. I've raced on them for ages, they are good.
shady83

Post by shady83 »

the michelin tyres are very good and quite a bit cheaper than corsa's but dont tend to last as long. :smt002
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

gday shady

hows the bike coming along? you got yr engine in yet? where do you use for yr engine and dyno stuff?
mines still at the shop getting new valves and a refresh...hope it does'nt take too long, cos im gonna need it set up with the ramair and that..

theres a well cheap trackday at Oulton on the 22nd feb, 55 quid it is.. no limits i think, fookin cheap tho if ya got ya bike together, im hoping to get there for that price..bit of practice for the april race.
the red shed

Post by the red shed »

cheers people,race scrubs it is,where's that link for ebay???
shady83

Post by shady83 »

Hi jake, bike not quite ready yet, just recently had the quickshifter fitted and a few alterations to the bike, still got to sort out the suspension as its pretty crap, going to try a thicker oil in forks and need to get the shock suited to my weight. I have had to change the calipers as they had been painted silver and the paint had been sprayed on the pistons :smt009 . I am hoping to buy some ebc discs soon, with maybe a zx9r caliper conversion. iam not putting my qiuck engine in just yet as i want to get used to the bike itself in size and race pattern which should be weird confuddled . i couldnt suggest anyone for dyno-time as i have nt used them other than for power runs. I cant wait to get out there now and have a good session on the track, our oly and a few others are at oulton on the 12th or 14th of jan for a shakedown but cant see me being ready for then, definatly think u should give aintree a go this year as its good value as track time if nothing else. chopper (just thought i would put that chopper in to see what it looks like!)
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

is chopper what yr doin to yr forks?? shocking ...might be ok for aintree straight...!!

Aye , deffo up for aintree this year, got all the dates in me new diary, anxious to get started! me bird sez im sad, dunno what she means!

Im gonna do the forgotten era aswell with the w100, if they let me... my frames 89', but the rest aint...
Oulton in jan, that might be the open pitlane day..sounds great, and deffo my fav track so far, but i cant see my bike being ready untill feb..
Last edited by jake on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

the red shed wrote:cheers people,race scrubs it is,where's that link for ebay???
if you put a post up on ere
http://www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/default.asp

you will deffo get some here mate. All the racers will have pairs from last year

and some ebay ones:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pirelli-Supercors ... dZViewItem
shady83

Post by shady83 »

The forks are way to soft and wont take much to bottom them out, i got told they were zx6 internals but unsure. they definatley need sorting, will try some thicker oil, if not they will have to go to maxton. my girlfriend doesnt understand the whole racing thing either, iam sure they will come round eventually :smt002
Jerry
My Bike: ZXR400 Race bike

Post by Jerry »

Hi, I have seen one guy using the Michelin supermoto tyres, it was a shock waiting behind him to form the grid they were almost slicks...but i guess they work as he seem to ride ok....so i might give them ago next season....if anyone has had ago with them let me know.
shady83

Post by shady83 »

hi jerry, I have used the supermoto tyres and cant really fault them, although it was my first season racing last year and i couldnt afford new tyres so i always bought secondhand scrubs, my experiance with them was good and found them very sticky. I would recomend you give them a try as jake pointed out a few of the quick lads were on them. :smt001
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

I've got 2 sets Super Corsa Pro's for sale. Approx 5 sessions from the test day and 4 races old per set. £60 plus postage. Let me know if you're interested :smt001

Oh, forgot, 1 set of just scrubbed (one session) Dunlop 209GP's. Cost me £245, make me a sensible offer :smt002
anteater

Post by anteater »

Supercorsa pros are good, also worth considering at BT002 type 4 , I've also used supermoto tyres sucessfully e.g. Goldspeed pre cut rears, dont use the fronts they are too tall for the mudgaurds.

Biggest issue with supermoto tyres goldspeeds/michellin is that when they go off its grip grip highside. So they need changed regular