Safrican ZX400 Complete Rebuild

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Animammel
My Bike: ZX400 G

Safrican ZX400 Complete Rebuild

Post by Animammel »

Hey guys - Another Chris from South Africa - Grrr that I cant claim being the first chris lol.

So anyways, you want pics right.

Before we get there. Bought this baby for pocket change - its the paper work that's the issue but will get to that later in the build. A youngster bought this bike and it sat in his garage for four years, him trying to start it but nothing happened. Sadly I found out why. Spent some on the bike and I have set a fair budget while still able to get my moneys worth if selling it off (Hopefully not) in the future.
Prices buying new in South Africa suck big time but I know that from experience, everything is much cheaper in the UK. Its who you know that gets you through life.

My old man is helping me as he is the mechanical brains behind all the restorations and knows where all the WW2 tools hide in the garage that I have never seen - the paint and cosmetics is my baby and the part I'm good at. A lot of money will be saved from us doing most of it so more to the styling department and overall ride.

Here is how I got it on the night it arrived

Here are a few samples to feast on - Loads will come soon when I get time - 14 hours a day doesn't help.

The head looks like a bit of a sl%t as everyone has tinkered on this head. for once the pictures do this justice.

That's all for now. Will upload more when the parts come in.

Ride safe
_____________________________ viewtopic.php?f=87&t=14464 _______________________________
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Re: Safrican ZX400 Complete Rebuild

Post by CrazyChris »

From the looks of it you have got a lot of work to do there. At least yours came complete. Good luck on the build dude. Will keep a close eye on it. Keep the shiny side up and the sticky stuff on the tar.
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

After much trouble as most of you might have run into - She finally started. Ran yesterday, sounded terrible, opened her up as we thought it was not right, very grindy and chunky - something got into piston 3 and bent the one valve stem, replaced it from our spare head and perfecto.

Here's a sneak peak - sadly wont ride her but now the fun starts and time to strip her down and make her worth something. Here comes the 600 grit wet sanding all over again - told my self I would never again - oh well lol. She must look good then I shall finish her up engine wise, balance and see what the pocket allows.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D4ZDwYM8Uyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trying to embed

Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ZDwYM8 ... e=youtu.be
_____________________________ viewtopic.php?f=87&t=14464 _______________________________
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

Ok so I have been slow with the updates. Things have started to move again with parts in and cash flow - semi flowing. mostly trickling.

Its pictures you guys want so here it is lol.

Tried to piece the one fairing together, previous owner had fun with a hack saw.

Have to fabricate the top piece where the screen and mirror fits on, fun...

fibreglass sheets, love it, better than the old hay like crap. Bit of release gel.

Removed the motor - stripping it down to find out the full extent of this motor. Old man doing his thing.

More in a bit...cheers
Last edited by Animammel on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

Carbs were next after the crank was put in and motor rebuilt. Old man did it while i was at work so no pictures.

someone seems to have screwed this up. quite literally. fixed it.

Carb together, on the bike, had more issues, solenoid etc. Got her started. posted the video link in a last post.

Running nicely but didnt even ride her, just too unsafe.
Started the complete strip down for paint and to redo small jobs day by day.

Dropping this motor out alone sucked.

Warning - nudity

Frame paint and then to show you the colours and my tail piece plans next installment. cheers
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

More continued stripping

So here is the tail piece - ducati 916 tail

will be putting led lights for the tail light - cheap and looks great.

Chopped the main strut and lowered it to accommodate the tail, the CDI will be moving dont worry. most of the back seat underseat pieces will either be moved or gone.

Time to get the angle grinder out with wire cup brush attachment - gotta save costs as the tail wasn't cheap

On the last item...lets just say a brick was shat.

On to some priming and then paint.

Goblin (cant swear haha) i missed a few spots!

now onto some colour

Well that is all for today, went over frame with a final coat, will try and keep up with the updates but this is enough to perv on for now.

Next time a lick of green to a few other pieces. wheels, shock and calipers. and then some.

Cheers guys
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

looks like you have the fabled "correct" unitrack bottom linkage with the 3x grease-gun nipples...makes doing the lubrication (molybdenum sulphate grease if possible) of the linkages so much easier!

when i get round to stripping out my shock and swingarm i will buy one with grease gun ports...try to get some plastic or rubber caps to go over the open ports or else they will get full of road crap :D

looking good so far, its amazing what a good paintjob can do, makes the thing look showroom quality.
Last edited by banner001 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

Lucky we have an old grease gun. my old man pulls out tools from the garage ive never seen and only known when he seems its a fitting time to use it when he struggles, never mind me.

I look forward to see some more paint and then everything cleaned up a lot. hopefully on wed and thurs i shall get around to more.
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

Another update with so few pictures again.

Been busy but then again who hasn't. Final stages of prep, prime and paint. I hope!

Fairings will be done much later once all fitted. Here are a few pictures for the pervy.

Struggled to get the bolts off, stripped, they were tight, stepping on virgin territory. Got out the angle grinder being careful not to attack the disk.

Shock was next.

Stripped everything down to bare metal.

Rims primed.

This is how they turned out, picture does not do it justice with the green.

A better version of the spring - prime and spray.

I am loving the colour scheme, simple and what I am personally happy with. Spraying came out alright too so all in all pleased.

More updates to follow soon.
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

Last batch of painted items I did not have pictures of. Rear caliper disassembly and general clean up and put the shock back and swing arm. Enjoy.

Extra little touch

Clever little Japs

Rear Caliper - Rough state

Everything painted, polished, rust removed and luckily very minimal pitting.

The frame

Shock and swing arm

Well that is all I have for now. Have to make a difficult decision tomorrow night. Work on bike or go out drinking. Tough!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

coming along nicely :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

Another disappearing act but back now - Progress has been slow and of course not without its financial hiccups.

Since my last post I assembled the whole bike. Started her, sounds good - does need balancing, didnt ride her, o ring finished so spillage in the cooling system below the starter motor. Didn't take pictures as my batteries in the camera retired from duty.

Got stuck in and been tinkering on her bit by bit waiting for payday.

Tried to start her - Starter motor jammed.

Serviced starter motor and replaced an o ring while starter motor was out for the cooling system.

Started on the tank - this was the hiccup

I found rust on the inside and took it down to bare metal.

The fuel tap was ok but the petrol sensor unit was bust so it was worth my time just replacing the tank and finding a new sensor.

New tank on its way - Second hand "new"
Animammel

Post by Animammel »

Next part - tank, seat and tail piece - mainly the tail piece.

"Measure twice - cut once" my old man used to tell me, always got them mixed up though. got this one right I think.

Measuring it up - found some great old school tail lights. Wanted this look.

Cut and pasted tail lights - made a mounting bracket for lights and numberplate. In my opinion I love the look.

And how she is looking roughly. A lot of minor changes to happen but dammit I wanna ride her.

Fuel pump and re-bleeding the breaks (new copper washers all round) then I'm gonna hit the road. Probably not but positive thinking.

Taking some leave soon so hopefully she will be done.

Cheers