zxr400l winter project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

bleddynzxr400

zxr400l winter project

Post by bleddynzxr400 »

well ive decided to continue getting this bike sorted out its gonna take a while. but ill get it done through the winter. today i stripped most of the bits off ready to drop the engine tommorow.ill give the whole chassis a good cleaning while the engine is out the bike i found another few bad bits today ie holes in the exhausts and a few minor bits i also need a new rad and oil cooler heres a few pics of how it looks. look at the bodge job on oil cooler pipes

whats the best method to fill the holes on the exhausts could they be welded or would exhaust paste and bandage do the job

cheers

bledd
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: zxr400l winter project

Post by RedexRobB »

Bloody hell, did someone dip that into the north sea!? Rusty as anything!

Good luck with it all, just a bit of TLC and you should be fine with it all. The exhaust pipes are a bit beyond 'permanent repair' I think anything you will do is only going to be temporary till they start blowing elsewhere. For short term id just use a bit of exhaust paste and a bandage over it.

Sub frame i would take a to a powder coaters where they can shot blast it and take all the rust off and then coat it in a colour of your choice.

Other than that just a damn good clean and the bodywork sorting and it'll be a cracker. If you need inspiration take alook at my bikepics page

http://www.bikepics.com/members/robb/93zxr400/

Werent all that rough really to start with, but a bit of effort and money you will be smiling from ear to ear!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

must have made a right racket with all them screws and bolts rattling round under the seat? subframes well rusty, as RobB says a shotblast and powdercoat is the way to go. wtf did they do to the oil cooler pipes?? but a bit of work and that'll be a nice bike mate!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

You could probably weld those pipes up, although the rest might disintegrate while you were trying to clean them up enough to weld!

However once you did you'd find it difficult to clamp them back up to the engine, cos you'd have covered the clamping shoulder with a bead of weld :smt003

so i'm afraid it's probably time to start saving.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

if you put an even bead of weld around the edged (thats presuming the metal is thick enough which i doubt) and use longer header bolts you might get away with it for a temp fix, but i think you're gonna have to splash out.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

weld might hold for a week, then the pipes will crack next to the weld ..

you "might" get away with brazing .. but the heat at the top of the headers will probably just melt it ..

new pipes time .. :)
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

zimm wrote:weld might hold for a week, then the pipes will crack next to the weld ..
then you weld further up, and continue until you have an exhaust made entirely of weld that weighs about three tonnes!
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
bleddynzxr400

Post by bleddynzxr400 »

rite well ive been cracking on with the bike this week the engines out got to finnish cleaning the frame next. ive sourced a new radiator and oil cooler with all fixing points and a fan hpoefully he will have a rear hugger for me aswell im also thinking about buying a rear wheel of him with a as new tyre on .the body work is in the sprayshop being repaired and preped ready for spraying its basically going to be the same coulor as it is now i wish i could afford to get the frame and swing arm powder coated but i cant as for the down pipes ive grinded all the rust away from holey areas and the metal hasnt disintegrated so im gonna try and weld them up also what gearbox oil would you reccomend and is it 3 litres i need.so im now basically waiting for the parts to arrive

bledd
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

hi mate have you had any quotes for the powdercoating?
bleddynzxr400

Post by bleddynzxr400 »

the nearest powdercoaters to me quoted me £30.00 for the small subframe plus id have to post it to them as its a good few miles away so im going to dremmel the rust off and use a spray can on it id love to do this bike perfect but i realy cant afford it. and as the subframe is out of the way it wont look to bad im just gonna give it a good clean get the engine in get it running. just to make sure everything is ok.and then i can save some cash to finnish it off ive still got to save for my test aswell

bledd
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

well i had my frame,subframe & swinger done for £75 so tell em thats too much, tbh £30 is usually the minimum charge so might not be much more to have the lot done.worth asking.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Get some nitromoors on that sub frame and treat the rust with Jenolite, thatll make it all a hel of alot easier. Paint with Hammerite :smt003

Oil wise ive always used Castrol GPS 10W40.
bleddynzxr400

Post by bleddynzxr400 »

rite guys ive been busy cleaning the bike and it looks a lot better but im still waiting for parts ie. radiator oil cooler rear hugger plus i bought a scorpion silencer of ebay im not spending no more until my stuff arrives as i want to see if this new engine is ok i hope it is lol ill get some pics in the week

bledd
bleddynzxr400

Post by bleddynzxr400 »

well i picked my body work up on friday i was happy with it until i noticed the guy who sprayed them has put the decals in the wrong places.i was gutted and couldnt take any pics as i didnt realy want to see them again.i drew some pics of panels and described where i wanted the decals but he said he lost them and thought he remmembered where they went. so he put them on and laquered them aswell.im not realy happy as its not what i wanted. plus hes chucked out my mesh infills for the seat panels and this topped it off all the rubber washers of the tank and panels where put in the fuel tank to keep safe took 1 hour of shaking about to get them out not happy if i can be bothered ill take some pics of the decals on panels

bledd
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

did you pay him?? i would have told him where to go!! post some pics mate, can't be that bad can it??